Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 OlympicsMay 24th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ottawa, May 24 (IANS) Madrid, Tokyo and Istanbul became the finalists in the race for hosting the 2020 Olympics, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided Wednesday.
Doha in Qatar and Baku, capital of Azerbaijan, failed to make the cut for the mega event.
The IOC will vote for the final winner September 7, 2013, in Buenos Aires, Xinhua reports.
The executive board, chaired by IOC president Jacques Rogge, chose the finalists after examining a technical evaluation report compiled by a panel of Olympic experts. The board then voted on each candidate.
Madrid is bidding for the third consecutive time, Tokyo second time in a row, and Istanbul for the fifth time overall.
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Japan to bid for 2020 Olympics - Apr 11, 2011
- Madrid officially launches bid for 2020 Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games - Mar 03, 2012
- Japan sets up Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid council - Nov 29, 2011
- IOC Chairman upbeat about Olympics - Jul 22, 2012
- Rome is Italy's candidate for 2020 Olympic bid - May 20, 2010
- Cameron says London will be ready for Olympics - Mar 28, 2012
- Rogge terms London Olympics 'happy & glorious' - Aug 13, 2012
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- Spanish Olympic Chief: Why we need 2020 Games - Nov 29, 2011
- Chicago, Tokyo lose out in Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
Tags: 2020 olympics, baku, buenos aires, capital of azerbaijan, consecutive time, doha, evaluation report, fifth time, international olympic committee, ioc president jacques rogge, istanbul, madrid, may 24, olympics, ottawa, qatar, second time, technical evaluation, tokyo, xinhua