Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 OlympicsAugust 18th, 2012 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 18 (IANS) Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva intends to take part in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics and is confident of winning the gold, her coach said Friday.
“I think she felt frustrated from the competition in London, that’s why she took such a decision,” Isinbayeva’s coach Evgeny Trofimov said, reports Xinhua.
The 30-year-old world record holder won the bronze medal at London Olympics. After the competition, she told reporters she was happy with bronze, adding that having won a third Olympic medal could inspire her to continue competing.
“I am really happy. It is like a gold medal for me. There have been a lot of things in the past which have been disappointing for three years. I think this bronze tells me ‘Yelena, don’t quit’, as I had planned to quit after London,” the two time Olympic champion had said.
Trofimov believes Isinbayeva has huge potential and a strong desire to avenge the unfavourable results.
“Had Yelena won in London, I think she would have ended her career,” Trofimov added.
During the London Games, the Russian athlete, who has been the undoubted star of the sport over the last 10 years, was unable to clear 4.75 metres and gambled on a single attempt at 4.80 metres, at which she failed, leaving Jennifer Suhr, the silver medal winner at Beijing, to take gold ahead of Cuba’s Yarisley Silva.
- Olympic pole vault: America's Jenn Suhr wins gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva targets last Olympic gold before retirement - Apr 18, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Russian pole vault queen gets bronze - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic bronze tells me 'don't quit': Isinbaeva (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Pole vaulter Isinbayeva wins French meet - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Isinbaeva wants family before considering Rio 2016 - Aug 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva '90 percent ready' for Olympics - Jun 30, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isinbayeva confident ahead of pole vault final - Aug 04, 2012
- Isinbayeva likely to retire after Olympics: Coach - Jul 21, 2012
- Isinbayeva breaks own indoor world record - Feb 24, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Kazakhstan's Rypakova leaps to triple jump gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, Saina gets rousing reception (India Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 2016 olympics, athlete, beijing, bronze medal, gold medal, london games, london olympics, olympic champion, olympic medal, olympics, rio de janeiro, russian pole vaulter, silva, silver medal winner, strong desire, suhr, trofimov, world record holder, xinhua, yelena isinbayeva