Isinbayeva ‘90 percent ready’ for OlympicsJune 30th, 2012 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Pole vault world record holder Yelena Isinbayeva said Saturday she is 90 percent ready to compete at the London Olympics next month after rediscovering her love for the sport.
Isinbayeva set a new indoor world record of 5 metres 1 centimetre in Stockholm in February, her first record since 2009 following a spell marked by injury and disappointing results.
“At the moment, I’m 90 percent ready,” she said, adding that she still had to “make some corrections”.
“I’m confident that I’ll have enough time to prepare.”
The Russian’s charge to retain her 2008 Olympic title follows a time in which she fell out of love with pole vaulting for a while, Isinbayeva said.
“I really had some problems with motivation some time ago. But then I realized how many great things I’ve done and still can do.”
“Now I take pleasure from training. I train twice a day. I run, I jump, I do gymnastics.”
Isinbayeva is focusing the full force of her new-found self-belief on winning the gold medal in London, she said.
“It’s my main aim. I’ll do everything possible and impossible to win.”
Her challengers for the pole vault title include Britain’s Holly Bleasdale, who secured her place at the Olympics Sunday.
Isinbayeva has said previously she will retire in 2013 after Moscow hosts the athletics world championships.
Her world outdoor record stands at 5 metres 6 centimetres, set in 2009.
- Isinbayeva likely to retire after Olympics: Coach - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isinbayeva confident ahead of pole vault final - Aug 04, 2012
- Pole vaulter Isinbayeva wins French meet - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympic bronze tells me 'don't quit': Isinbaeva (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Isinbaeva wants family before considering Rio 2016 - Aug 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- Olympic pole vault: America's Jenn Suhr wins gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva targets last Olympic gold before retirement - Apr 18, 2012
- Olympics: Russian pole vault queen gets bronze - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic long jump : America's Reese wins women's gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic pole vault: France's Lavillenie soars to gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Isinbayeva breaks own indoor world record - Feb 24, 2012
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
- Goerges stuns Radwanska under Wimbledon roof at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Pole vault champion Isinbayeva hungry again for more glory - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: bleasdale, centimetre, challengers, full force, gold medal, gymnastics, holly, indoor world record, london olympics, moscow, olympic title, olympics, pole vault world, pole vault world record, pole vaulting, ria novosti, self belief, vm, world championships, world record holder