Is Andrew Strauss going to be a MP?August 30th, 2012 - 9:49 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Aug 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Andrew Straus just quit cricket for good. Strauss who is 35 years old is a conservative party supporter who offered himself as an auction prize and won 25,000 pounds for David Cameron last year at a dinner auction.
His decision to quit cricket came on the same day that the MP for Corby Louis Mench formally stood down from the MP seat. His supporters and fellow Tories say that it would be good if the former cricket captain stood for the coming by-election so that he would be their MP.
Councilor Rob McKeller said that he can not completely rule out his chances of voting for Strauss as the next MP if the rumors of him wanting to run turn out to be true.
Strauss was the first England captain to retain the ashes in 25 years. Alistair Cook will be replacing him as captain in his cricket team for now. A lot of people are wondering why Strauss decided to end his international cricket career and some bloggers have said that it is possible that he wants to change from the sports world in to the political world. Strauss insisted that it is not the Kevin Pietersen saga that caused him to end his career as an international cricketer.
- I'm not done yet, says Strauss - May 16, 2011
- Samuels has proven his point, says Gibson - May 29, 2012
- Pietseren's jab at South African-born cricketers in England team - Jul 17, 2011
- Chanderpaul defying England in Lord's Test - May 20, 2012
- Sammy backs Roach to overcome no-ball problem - May 27, 2012
- I want to be captain England, says Cook - Jan 03, 2011
- Flower backs out-of-sorts Strauss on eve of squad announcement - May 13, 2012
- Cook, Broad, Strauss to split England captaincy - May 05, 2011
- Strauss and Pietersen steady England innings (Lunch report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Pietersen to leave World Cup early for hernia operation - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: 35 years, alistair cook, andrew strauss, conservative party, corby, councilor, cricket captain, cricket team, cricketer, david cameron, dinner auction, england captain, international cricket, kevin pietersen, mckeller, mench, party supporter, sports world, straus, tories