Ireland looking to replicate 2007 performance (Team profile, World Cup Countdown)February 8th, 2011 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
By Bharat Sharma
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Ireland, who made a dream World Cup debut by stunning Test playing nations Pakistan and Bangladesh in the 2007 edition, are looking to replicate their stupendous performance with at least a quarterfinal berth in the Feb 19-April 2 mega event.The 15-man squad, led by seasoned batsman William Porterfield, has nine players from the sensational 2007 side. Their performance four years changed the country’s approach to the sport. It is no longer a mere
pastime but has grown into a thriving professional sport. Thirteen members of the side make a living out of cricket whereas in 2007 the team had more amateurs.
“We are confident of at least progressing to the quarters. It will then be a question of kicking on from there. The World Cup in the sub-continent will be a different experience altogether. If we can prepare well, we will definitely put up a good show,” said Porterfield.
The team’s batting line-up is dominated by left-handers — Porterfield, wicketkeeper Niall O’Brien and former England player Ed Joyce, who played 27 One-day Internationals before returning to his native country.
Porterfield and Brien have scored more than 1,000 ODI runs each and the team obviously looks up to them. Joyce’s return will strengthen their batting and his experience of playing for England will come in handy. The presence of genuine all-rounders Kevin O’ Brien and former captain Trent Johnston gives the side a good balance.
Kevin has the highest score of 142 in 52 ODIs and has been regular with the wickets recently. The seamer was pick of the bowlers in the three-match series against Zimbabwe last September. Johnston, however, still remains a key player despite being removed as skipper. He scored the winning run and took a wicket in the team’s famous win against
The bowling burden is back on the shoulders of pace spearhead Boyd Rankin as he has recovered from a stress fracture. With 12 wickets, the lanky pacer was Ireland’s highest wicket-taker in the last World Cup in the Caribbean.
However, it is the performance of 18-year-old left-arm spinner George Dockrell that will be most crucial on the sub-continent wickets. The rookie spinner was a revelation in last year’s World T20 with a three wicket-haul against the West Indies and an inspired spell of four for 19 against eventual champions England.
“I like the balance of the squad. As with most Irish teams of the past few years, there are quite a few all-rounders and that gives us plenty of options,” said Ireland coach Phil Simmons, a former West Indies all-rounder.
“We were also able to spend a month in India acclimatising, and that will stand us in good stead,” he said.
Ireland are drawn with India, South Africa, England, Bangladesh, West Indies and the Netherlands in Group B. They kick-off their campaign against Bangladesh Feb 25 in Dhaka.
The squad: William Porterfield (captain), Andre Botha, Alex Cusack, Niall O’Brien, Kevin O’Brien, George Dockrell, Trent Johnston, Nigel Jones, John Mooney, Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Albert van der Merwe, Gary Wilson, Andrew White, Ed Joyce.
Fixtures: Feb 25 vs Bangladesh (Dhaka), Mar 2 vs England (Bangalore), Mar 6 vs India (Bangalore), Mar 11 vs West Indies (Mohali), Mar 15 vs South Africa (Kolkata), Mar 18 vs Netherlands (Kolkata).
- England elect to bat against Ireland - Mar 02, 2011
- India elect to field against Ireland - Mar 06, 2011
- Ireland elect to field against West Indies - Mar 11, 2011
- Ireland elect to field against England - May 05, 2010
- World Cup: Bangladesh elect to bat against Ireland - Feb 25, 2011
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Ireland opt to bowl against South Africa - Mar 15, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 06, 2011
- An Irish buzz on the eve of their match against India (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- Scoreboard: Bangladesh vs Ireland, World Cup Group B - Feb 26, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: South Africa vs. Ireland, Group B - Mar 15, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: Ireland vs. Netherlands - Mar 18, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 07, 2011
- Scoreboard of Netherlands' innings against Ireland - Mar 18, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: England vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: batsman, dream world, ed joyce, england player, highest score, left handers, man squad, o brien, odis, performance team, porterfield, professional sport, profile world, seamer, stress fracture, team profile, wicketkeeper, wickets, world cup countdown, world cup debut