Iraq asks FIFA to organise its qualifiers in QatarOctober 2nd, 2011 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Oct 2 (IANS) Iraq has asked world football’s governing body FIFA to approve its request for playing its qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup and the 2012 London Olympics in Qatar.
“We have sent a letter to the FIFA saying that we have selected Qatar as a neutral venue after we had gratefully received Qatar’s acceptance to host our national and Olympic teams,” Iraq Football Association Secretary Tariq Ahmed told Xinhua.
Iraq had previously played its games at the Francois Hariri Stadium in Erbil, the capital city of Iraq’s north autonomous region of Kurdistan, which is considered far safer than Baghdad and other parts of the country.
However, Sep 23, the FIFA banned Iraq from playing all its home qualifiers for the national and Olympic teams due to security concerns as well as Iraq’s incapacity to accommodate football delegations in the country.
FIFA then asked Iraq to nominate a neutral venue.
“I think FIFA will accept our request to play in Qatar, but officially we are waiting for their approval on our request,” Ahmed said.
- FIFA support India for U-17 and 2022 World Cup - Sep 05, 2012
- Etihad launches cargo service to Iraq - Apr 26, 2010
- Etihad marks a year of successful Iraq services - May 06, 2011
- Interpol red corner notice against fugitive Iraqi vice president - May 08, 2012
- Flydubai launches flight to Iraq - Jul 17, 2010
- Eight Iraqi athletes to go to London - Jul 15, 2012
- Draw for 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers final round - Mar 09, 2012
- SAFA apologizes to Ghana over age-cheating claims - Apr 27, 2012
- India could host FIFA U-17 World Cup, government assures support (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Iraqi court sentences fugitive vice president to death - Sep 09, 2012
- We have to defend well against Qatar: Bulpin - Jun 16, 2011
- FIFA bans, fines Indonesian coach - Apr 20, 2012
- India must develop football infrastructure: FIFA official - May 07, 2011
- FIFA annuls decision to exclude Myanmar from 2018 World Cup qualifying - Nov 07, 2011
- Ghana to observe FIFA Fair Play Day against Malawi - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, ahmed, association secretary, autonomous region, body fifa, delegations, erbil, football association, governing body, hariri, incapacity, kurdistan, neutral venue, olympic teams, qatar, security concerns, tariq, world cup, world football, xinhua