Iranian Greco-Roman wrestler wins gold at London OlympicsAugust 6th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) Iran’s four-time world champion Hamid Sourian won the country’s first gold medal at the London 2012 Olympic Games, defeating Azerbaijan’s Greco-Roman wrestler Roshan Bayramov in the 55kg category here Monday.
The Iranian wrestler had a wonderful start in the London Games and defeated wrestlers from Hungary, Kazakhstan and Denmark before meeting Bayramov in the final, reports Xinhua.
Sourian’s medal is not just Iran’s first gold at the London 2012 Olympics but the country’s first-ever Greco-Roman wrestling gold medal in Olympic games throughout the history of the Games.
- Olympic wrestling: Iran's Soryan Reihanpour wins gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Iran, Belarus, Turkey dominate wrestling championship - Sep 14, 2011
- Olympic wrestling: Khugaev gives Russia gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olymic wrestling: Vlasov ends Russia's wait for gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Delhi to host three-day wrestling championship next week - May 08, 2010
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Wrestler Geeta qualifies for Olympics - Apr 01, 2012
- Indian wrestlers confident of winning more golds - Oct 06, 2010
- Wrestler Anil wins fifth gold for India, beats Australian in 96kg category finals - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Games wrestling: Manoj Kumar to fight for bronze - Nov 22, 2010
- Haryana gives Rs.15 lakh each to three gold medal wining wrestlers - Oct 06, 2010
- Champion Russian wrestler dies of heart attack at 35 - Sep 13, 2012
- Olympic wrestling : Lopez Nunez wins gold for Cuba - Aug 07, 2012
- Wrestler Anil Kumar wins silver in Asian Championship - May 22, 2011
- World Wrestling: Russia, Japan win team titles - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: 2012 olympic games, 2012 olympics, azerbaijan, denmark, gold medal, greco roman, hamid, hungary, iran, iranian, kazakhstan, london 2012 olympic games, london 2012 olympics, london games, london olympics, olympic games, olympics, time world champion, wrestlers, xinhua