Iran, Belarus, Turkey dominate wrestling championshipSeptember 14th, 2011 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, Sep 14 (IANS) Iran, Belarus and Turkey split the gold medals in the men’s Greco-Roman categories at the 2011 senior World Wrestling Championship here.
In the 60kg class, the gold went to Iran’s Omid Haji Noroozi who beat Almat Kepispayev of Kazakhstan while the bronze was shared by Zaur Kuramagomedov of Russia and Ivo Serafimov Angelov of Bulgaria here Tuesday.
According to Xinhua, Alim Selimau from Belarus took the 84kg gold, Damian Janikowski from Poland took the silver and the bronze went to Nazmi Avluka from Turkey and Rami Antero Hietaniemi from Finland.
In the 120kg class, the gold was won by Turkey’s Riza Kayaalp, Mijain Lopez Nunez of Cuba took the silver, and the bronze went to Nurmakhan Tinaliyev of Kazakhstan and Bashir Asgari Babajanzadeh of Iran.
The competition is being held at Istanbul’s Sinan Erdem Dome in the categories of men’s freestyle, men’s Greco-Roman and women wrestling.
The FILA 2011 senior world championship will run through Sep 18 and the top six in each Olympic weight category will secure a place for the London 2012 Olympics.
Russia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, China, Senegal, Kazakhstan, Japan, Ukraine and Turkey are the countries with participants in every available category.
- World Wrestling: Russia, Japan win team titles - Sep 19, 2011
- Wrestler Anil Kumar wins silver in Asian Championship - May 22, 2011
- Iranian Greco-Roman wrestler wins gold at London Olympics - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Khugaev gives Russia gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic wrestling : Lopez Nunez wins gold for Cuba - Aug 07, 2012
- Asian Games wrestling: Tomar and Nirmala out; Mausam in repechage - Nov 25, 2010
- Champion Russian wrestler dies of heart attack at 35 - Sep 13, 2012
- Asian Games wrestling: Ravinder, Sunil Kumar get bronze - Nov 21, 2010
- Indian wrestlers confident of winning more golds - Oct 06, 2010
- Olymic wrestling: Vlasov ends Russia's wait for gold - Aug 06, 2012
- CWG decision to drop wrestling events upsets Indians - Oct 08, 2010
- Wrestler Anil wins fifth gold for India, beats Australian in 96kg category finals - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Games wrestling: Manoj Kumar to fight for bronze - Nov 22, 2010
- Ravinder Singh wins Greco-Roman 60 kg gold - Oct 05, 2010
- Khatri, Alka to lead India's charge at Asian Wrestling - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: 2012 olympics, alim, antero, asgari, bashir, fila, gold medals, greco roman, haji, ivo, janikowski, kuramagomedov, london 2012 olympics, noroozi, omid, rami, riza, sinan, weight category, xinhua