IPL tribunal slaps one year ban on Asif

February 11th, 2009 - 2:11 pm ICT by ANI  

New Delhi, Feb.11 (ANI): The Indian Premier League (IPL) has barred Pakistani speedster Muhammad Asif for a year after he tested positive in a drug scandal during the leagues inaugural season last year.
A statement issued by the IPL drug tribunal said the ban imposed on Asif will be from September 22, 2008 to September 22, 2009, which means he will miss the Twenty20 extravaganzas second season starting from April 20, 2009.
“The year’’s ineligibility for Muhammad Asif will be from September 22 2008, as that was the date when the Indian Premier League had imposed the suspension order, post which the cricketer has not been allowed to play any match,” The News quoted the statement, as saying.
Asif, who tested positive for the banned substance nandrolone, had told the IPL tribunal that the level of drug found in his sample was below the illegitimate limit, and it had accidentally enhanced by the use of eye drops.
The tribunal included former Test player Sunil Gavaskar, lawyer Shirish Gupte and Dr Ravi Bapat.
Asif plays for the Delhi Daredevils team in the league. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |