IPL: Rahane, Cooper star in Royals’ emphatic win (Lead)April 7th, 2012 - 1:43 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 7 (IANS) Ajinkya Rahane and Kevon Cooper starred in Rajasthan Royals’ 31-run win over Kings XI Punjab in the Indian Premier League (IPL) here Friday.
Rahane struck a classy 98 off 66 balls in Rajasthan’s 191 for four and medium pacer Cooper picked up four wickets on IPL debut as Punjab ended at 160 for nine at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium.
The win was the home team’s first under new captain Rahul Dravid, who took over from spin legend Shane Warne.
Punjab never looked like chasing down the target after being 61 for four in eight overs and the pressure kept on mounting on the batsmen with the asking rate going up steeply. Mandeep Singh top-scored with 34 while skipper Adam Gilchrist made 27 at the top of the order.
The night clearly belonged to Rahane, who was unlucky to miss out on a hundred.
His knock was a classic example of how one can be successful in T20 while playing pure cricketing shots.
Rahane hit Praveen Kumar for four boundaries in the third over of the match with each of them going down the ground in different directions. That proved to be just the start of delightful strokes flowing from his bat. Overall, Rahane collected 16 boundaries and a six before falling to Harmeet Singh in the 20th over.
Rahane shared 77 runs for the opening wicket with Dravid (28), setting up the foundation for a big score.
- Kings XI Punjab elect to field against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 06, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Rajasthan Royals vs. Kings XI Punjab - Apr 07, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to field against Royal Challengers - Apr 23, 2012
- Pollard shines in Mumbai's win over Rajasthan (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals thrash Kings XI Punjab by 43 runs (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Morkel, Srikanth heroics give Super Kings four-wicket win (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Scoreboard: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Rajasthan Royals, IPL - Apr 24, 2012
- IPL Scoreboard: Super Kings vs Rajasthan Royals - Apr 21, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Pune Warriors - May 13, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Mumbai Indians - May 20, 2012
- Chandila takes first hat-trick of IPL-V as Royals trounce Warrios (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals elect to bat against Super Kings - Apr 21, 2012
- IPL: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Rajasthan Royals by nine wickets - Apr 15, 2011
- Scoreboard: Rajasthan Royals vs Super Kings, IPL - May 11, 2012
- Royals chase down 197 to beat winless Chargers - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: adam gilchrist, balls, boundaries, four wickets, harmeet, ipl, kevon, mansingh, match, medium pacer, premier league, punjab, rahul dravid, sawai mansingh stadium, shane warne, skipper, strokes, t20, target, wicket