IPL Kochi owners meet Kerala Chief MinisterMay 12th, 2010 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 12 (IANS) The owners of the newly-acquired Indian Premier League (IPL) Kochi franchise Wednesday called on Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan to seek the government’s support in their efforts to build and organise the team.
Rendezvous Sports World in March won the franchise for the Kochi IPL team for a record price of Rs.1,500 crore.
After his meeting with the team owners, Achuthanandan said: “See, they told me a few things and much of what they said I did not understand. So, I told them that I will speak to Sports Minister M. Vijayakumar and before that I have asked them to put it on paper what exactly they want. If this is something that needs to be promoted, then by all means it would be done and if not ….”
The IPL Kochi franchisees, who met Achuthanandan at his home here, include co-owners Vivek Venugopal, Chief Executive Officer of Rendezvous Sports World P.T. Keshav, Mohan Shah (Anchor Group), Owal Shah (Paraneeam Developers), Kailash (Film Waves) and former minister of state for external affairs Shashi Tharoor.
Tharoor, also the local MP, was largely instrumental in getting the franchisees together.
On Tuesday, they had called on opposition leader Oommen Chandy and sought his support for the venture. The members also had a detailed meeting with the Kerala Cricket Association and announced that Kochi would be the home venue for the team in the next season.
- Everything is fine with Kochi IPL team, say owners - May 11, 2010
- Terminated Kochi Tuskers seek Kerala chief minister's help - Feb 02, 2012
- I have no formal role in Kochi IPL: Tharoor - Oct 03, 2010
- 'No crisis among Kochi IPL franchise partners' - Oct 07, 2010
- Kerala Government terms IPL a gambling business, distances itself from Kochi franchise - May 14, 2010
- KCA rubbishes rumours about IPL's Kochi franchise - Apr 09, 2010
- Kochi IPL and BCCI officails visit Kochi to asses the facilities - Jun 21, 2010
- Kerala Cricket Association to meet Kochi IPL owners on Oct.7 to resolve issues - Oct 04, 2010
- Controversies done, Kochi set for maiden IPL match - Mar 31, 2011
- Kochi IPL sweating over sweat equity - Oct 19, 2010
- Kochi IPL will make it: Kerala Cricket Association - Oct 10, 2010
- We'll deal with Kochi matter after IPL-3: Modi - Apr 14, 2010
- Kochi IPL to reveal name, logo and jersey in February - Jan 18, 2011
- Kochi pulls out of IPL (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- There is a question mark over Kochi ownership: Modi - Apr 14, 2010
Tags: anchor group, chandy, chief executive officer, chief minister, cricket association, crore, external affairs, franchise, franchisees, home venue, keshav, minister of state, mohan, opposition leader, premier league, rendezvous, rs 1, sports world, vijayakumar, waves