IPL II set to impose astronomic fines for slow playApril 17th, 2009 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town (South Africa), Apr.17 (ANI): Astronomic fines lie in wait for captains and teams that play their cricket at a snail’s pace in the second edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in South Africa.
The organisers of the Twenty20 series have warned that they will dish out severe punishments to teams that don’t bowl their 20 overs inside the allotted time slot.
IPL chairperson Lalit Modi told a press conference on Thursday that teams may be fined in excess of R3.2-m if they go over the allotted time. He claimed that teams last year at times took up to 45 minutes longer than the allotted 80 minutes.
One of the big attractions of Twenty20 cricket is that matches finish inside three hours. Each team usually gets 80 minutes to bowl its 20 overs, with a break of 20 minutes between innings. This year, there will be a break of seven-and-a-half minutes after 10 overs for teams to discuss their strategies.
Modi believes that will put an end to any excuse that teams may have for not going through their overs quickly enough.
Matches will now last for three hours and 15 minutes.
According to Sports24, fines for teams that go over their allotted time are as follows:
- 20 000 dollars fine for the captain that transgresses first;
- 220 000 dollars fine for the entire team when a second transgression takes place; and
-360 000 dollars fine for a third offence. The captain will then also be suspended for one game. (ANI)
- Lalit Modi accuses BCCI president-elect of fixing things for CSK - May 19, 2011
- Du Plessis seeks IPL push to Proteas Test squad - Apr 11, 2012
- Tendulkar, India broke new ground in international cricket (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 29, 2010
- Frenzied fans flock to stadium for Champions clash - Sep 23, 2011
- Rajasthan Royals steer clear of Warne and Modi - May 11, 2011
- IPL set for grand start - without 'feel good' factor - Apr 03, 2012
- Bollinger hopes IPL stint earns him Australia recall - Apr 10, 2012
- Ganguly defends Samuels' bowling action - Apr 16, 2012
- Deccan Skipper Sangakkara fined for slow over rate - Apr 27, 2012
- Sammy slapped with fine for Windies slow over-rate - May 23, 2012
- New and revamped IPL season to kick-off Friday - Apr 07, 2011
- Pakistan fined for slow over rate against Sri Lanka - Feb 27, 2011
- Gautam Gambhir fined for slow over rate - May 08, 2012
- Tim Bresnan reprimanded, Strauss fined for slow over-rate against India - Feb 28, 2011
- Didn't play as we would have hoped, admits White - Aug 07, 2011