IPL bans Asif for one year

February 11th, 2009 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS  

Mumbai, Feb 11 (IANS) The Indian Premier League (IPL) drug tribunal Wednesday officially banned Pakistani fast bowler Mohammad Asif for one year for testing positive for banned substance Nandrolone during the inaugural edition last year.
Though it was already reported by IANS last month that the Pakistani bowler has been suspended, the tribunal comprising medical expert Ravi Bapat and former Indian captain Sunil Gavaskar, had reserved its judgement after last month’s hearing in the doping case.

The IPL Wednesday said that the 26-year-old Asif will be banned for one year and it will be from Sept 22, as that was the date when the IPL had imposed the suspension order, post which the cricketer has not been allowed to play any match.

Asif’s agent Salman Ahmed had confirmed to IANS Jan 30 about the ban and said Asif would now concentrate on his training in a bid to play for Pakistan later this year.

Asif tested positive for banned anabolic steroid Nandrolone in the inaugural season of the IPL last May. He had attended a hearing conducted in Mumbai, Jan 24, by the IPL drugs tribunal wherein the player claimed that an eyedrop he used was the reason for the rise in the nandrolone level.

He blamed Keratyl eyedrop medication for the positive test and hoped that the verdict will go his way.

However, the IPL tribunal was apparently not convinced. Asif also tested positive for Nandrolone during the 2006 ICC Champions Trophy in India.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |