IPL all but over for ‘rested’ GangulyMay 11th, 2012 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, May 11 (IANS) Pune Warriors out-of-form captain Sourav Ganguly finally “rested” himself Friday allowing Australian Steven Smith to lead the team against the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium here Friday.
Pune Warriors with their decision to rest Ganguly has also ended all speculations about the former India captain’s future with the Sahara-owned franchise.
It is highly unlikely to see Ganguly in any of the Pune Warriors remaining two games in the season that again turned out to be disappointing for them.
Ganguly is likely to be seen as a mentor from the next season as announced by team owner Subrata Roy.
Roy said Ganguly wanted to take rest to give youngsters a chance.
“Sourav wants to give youngsters a chance in the last games,” said Roy. “Sourav will be the mentor next season. We pushed him to play in IPL 5,” he said.
Roy, however, refused to blame Ganguly’s leadership for the team’s poor run in the season. “Ganguly is a fine captain, our team lacked good Indian talent,” he said.
This is the third instance this year that a captain of a franchise has not been selected. Kumar Sangakkara of Deccan Chargers dropped himself after a string of poor performances before taking charge of the team again. Royal Challengers’ Daniel Vettori has made for a young Virat Kohli.
- Sourav Ganguly captain-cum-mentor of Pune Warriors - Mar 22, 2012
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Rajasthan Royals - May 08, 2012
- Puine Warriors opt to bat against Daredevils (Lead, superseeding earlier story) - Apr 24, 2012
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Knight Riders - Apr 24, 2012
- Mumbai Indians opt to bat against Pune Warriors - May 03, 2012
- Super Kings opt to bat against Pune Warriors - Apr 14, 2012
- It was payback time for me to Sourav: Yuvraj - Jun 22, 2011
- Pune Warriors put RCB in to bat - May 11, 2012
- Knight Riders beat Pune Warriors to finish as second-placed team (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- RCB outclass Warriors to go third in IPL standings (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Daredevils thrash Pune to avenge Kotla defeat (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Royal Challengers - Apr 17, 2012
- Deccan Chargers beat Pune Warriors for first IPL win - Apr 27, 2012
- We need to train hard: Gilchrist - Apr 09, 2012
- Rajasthan thrash Pune to keep playoff hopes alive (Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: challengers, chargers, daniel vettori, franchise, India, ipl, last games, leadership, mentor, poor performances, premier league, sangakkara, sourav ganguly, speculations, steven smith, subrata roy sahara, team owner, two games, warriors, youngsters