IOA to form Athletes CommissionNovember 22nd, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 22 (IANS) The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has decided to set up an 11-member Athletes Commission that will be selected by sportspersons who have qualified for the 2012 London Olympics.
From among the 11 members, two will be selected to the General Assembly of the IOA and one to the Executive Board of the IOA with full voting rights.
IOA secretary general Randhir Singh said the step was taken as per the IOC Charter and IOA Constitution has been amended accordingly.
Randhir also said that the newly constituted Olympic Monitoring Committee will start functioning soon. It will have as its members one sportsperson from each discipline who has qualified for the 2012 Games.
He also said that elections to Arjuna Awardees Association will be held here December 12.
“I along with Bishen Singh Bedi and others are stepping down from the posts we hold in the association, because we feel that it is time that new blood is infused in the association,” Randhir said in a statement.
He hoped that all Arjuna Award winners will come and participate in the elections.
Randhir said that as per the IOC Charter, there is a proposal to form Olympian Association of India (OAI) and elections to it will be held December 12.
“I am expecting a big turnout of the Olympians for this meeting and elections,” he said.
- IOC-OCA observers not acceptable to IOA: Malhotra - Sep 13, 2012
- Malhotra hails Randhir's ANOC nomination - Apr 23, 2012
- Randhir Singh opts out of next year's IOA election - Nov 08, 2011
- Snubbed by ministry, Randhir quits SAI governing body - Aug 31, 2010
- IOA reconstitutes Ethics Committee - Jan 04, 2012
- IOA welcomes Tendulkar's nomination to Rajya Sabha - Apr 27, 2012
- Don't participate in London Olympics: Aslam Sher Khan - Dec 14, 2011
- Malhotra calls Executive Board meeting to discuss IOC's missives - Jan 23, 2012
- Ajit Pal named Chef-de-Mission for London Olympics - Apr 02, 2012
- IOA president's election: Abhay Chautala may take on Randhir - Sep 13, 2012
- India asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsor - Feb 27, 2012
- IOC brokers truce between IOA, sports ministry - Jun 23, 2010
- Ministry has no business questioning my integrity: Randhir - May 06, 2010
- IOA didn't discuss boycott of Olympic ceremonies: Malhotra - Mar 02, 2012
- Hockey India to pursue Leslie's quest for lost gold medals - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, arjuna award, award winners, bishen singh bedi, charter, constitution, discipline, general assembly, indian olympic association, ioc, monitoring committee, new blood, New Delhi, oai, olympians, olympics, randhir singh, secretary general, sportsperson, voting rights