IOA sacks K P S Gill, dissolves IHFApril 28th, 2008 - 10:25 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) in a bold move Monday dissolved the Indian Hockey Federation, sacked its President K P S Gill and took over the reins of the game. IOA, at its emergency Executive Committee meeting in which Gill was also present, decided to form a five-member ad-hoc committee to run the sport and named a five-member selection committee of Olympians.
Aslam Sher Khan is the Chairman of the selection committee. Ashok Kumar, Ajitpal Singh, Zafar Iqbal and Dhanraj Pillay are the other members. Auatralian Ric Charlesworth will be the technical adviser to the selection committee.
IOA had called the emergency meeting after IHF secretary Jothi Kumaran was caught in bribery scandal in a sting operation, but it was turned into stocktaking of Indian hockey. At the end of it all, it was unanimously resolved to suspend the IHF.
“The Executive Committee has passed the resolution to suspend the IHF. IOA president has been given the authority to select a five-member ad-hoc committee to run the sport,” IOA President Suresh Kalmadi told a chaotic press conference.
“The decision has been taken as per an IOA constitutional clause which says that any federation can be suspended for undesirable activities and for bringing disrepute to the sport,” he said
Asked whether it was only the sting operation that prompted the decision, Kalmadi said that was a contributing factor.
“The issue was very complex. Media as well as a number of parliamentarians reacted strongly to the sting operationand the issue of good governance was also involved. The International Hockey Federation had warned that it would take away the 2010 World Cup if the IHF did not improve its functioning. Everyone wanted IOA to intervene and it had to after considering various issues and taking all shades of opinion.
“Every international event is important for us in the run up to the New Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games and we couldn’t have let the World Cup go.”
Kalmadi said he would discuss with former Olympians and other stakeholders before deciding on the ad-hoc committee.
Asked how long would the IHF stands dissolved, Kalmadi said: “Till it is necessary and hockey gets back on track.”
The three-member inquiry committee formed by the IHF to look into the matter also stands dissolved.
“Two member of that inquiry committee had written to me that they did not want to be part of the inquiry and resigned,” said Kalmadi.
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- IOA forms Hockey India after FIH deadline - Jun 03, 2009
- IOA rejects HI-IHF agreement - Jul 26, 2011
- Gill for CBI probe of sex scandal in women's hockey - Jul 22, 2010
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- IOA should facilitate IHF-HI unification: Shetty - Jul 27, 2011
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- IOA appoints ad-hoc committee for hockey - May 06, 2008
- IHF appoints national selection panel - Jul 13, 2010
- Hockey units unhappy at IOA's merger initiative - May 08, 2009
- Court notice to IHF after Gill's plea - May 15, 2008
- Indian hockey federation dissolved, ad-hoc committee appointed (Lead) - Apr 28, 2008
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, ashok kumar, bribery scandal, constitutional clause, delhi 2010 commonwealth games, dhanraj pillay, good governance, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international hockey federation, ioa president, jothi, member selection, new delhi 2010, sher khan, sting operation, suresh kalmadi, technical adviser, undesirable activities, zafar iqbal