IOA includes boxers’ physio in support-staff listJuly 26th, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Saturday acceded to its Olympics-bound boxing contingent’s demand of including South African physio Heath Mathews in its support staff. IOA came in for harsh criticism from the media after it was revealed Friday that the boxers were deprived of Mathews, who has been a big help to them, while a seven-member support staff was cleared for four tennis players.
The country’s top boxer Akhil Kumar, who suffered a wrist surgery last year, lashed out at IOA for the biased stand in the selection of the support staff.
Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) Saturday thanked IOA for including Mathews to accompany the boxing contingent to Beijing.
“This wonderful gesture will certainly pay rich dividends in India’s quest for a podium finish for the pugilists at Beijing 2008,” said IBF secretary general P.K. Muralidharan Raja.
The five Indian boxers are presently training at NIS Patiala and will arrive in Delhi July 31 to complete pre-departure formalities and will leave for Beijing Aug 2.
- IOA finally clears physio Patrick Kenny for Games - Jul 19, 2012
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- 142 Indian contingent for London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Rs.3.57 crore spent on boxers' Olympics preparations - Feb 02, 2012
- IBF announces probables for CWG, Asian Games - Jul 22, 2010
- Star boxer Akhil Kumar joins Mumbai Fighters - Oct 20, 2011
- Sahara India to sponsor Indian boxers - Feb 23, 2009
- IOA courts controversy over Olympic support staff - Jul 25, 2008
- Punjab MP objects to 'no-beard' clause in boxing - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012