IOA didn’t discuss boycott of Olympic ceremonies: MalhotraMarch 2nd, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) Indian Olympic Association’s acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra Friday denied reports in a section of the media that the apex body of India’s sport decided to boycott the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics to protest its sponsorship by Dow Chemicals.
After a meeting of the IOA’s Executive Board, Malhotra said the issue was not on the agenda of Friday meeting and in any case “we had not discussed the the matter at all.”
“There were some reports that the IOA will boycott the opening and closing ceremonies of the London Olympics. The issue was not in the agenda today. But the IOA has not taken any decision on this,” Malhotra said.
IOA secretary general Randhir Sigh said boycotting the ceremonies would have been a tragedy for Indian athletes.
“Top athletes have qualified for London Olympics. This time, India have also qualified in hockey. They should not be deprived of the chance to represent the country in the Olympics. India should take part in London Olympics. Bhopal gas tragedy was a disaster and thousands of people were affected. We feel for them. But at the same time, boycotting the Games would also be a tragedy for the athletes,” Randhir said.
- IOA not to boycott London Olympics, to protest against Dow - Dec 15, 2011
- India has not asked athletes to boycott Olympics: Maken - Mar 29, 2012
- IOA to convey concern of Bhopal victims to London organisers - Dec 06, 2011
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
- IOA gives advance payment to 16 hockey players - Jun 26, 2012
- IOC defends Dow, will remain Olympic sponsor - Feb 16, 2012
- IOC defends Dow, IOA doesn't agree (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Sports ministry wants Kalmadi's London visit aborted - Jul 13, 2012
- We have not thought of pulling out of Olympics: Maken - Mar 21, 2012
- Paralympics urge to cancel Dow Chemicals sponsor - Feb 01, 2012
- Olympics boycott is on the table, claims Bhopal NGO - Feb 27, 2012
- Don't participate in London Olympics: Aslam Sher Khan - Dec 14, 2011
- Boycott Olympics if Dow stays, says Chouhan - Jan 29, 2012
- IOA unhappy at not being involved in HI, IHF talks - Jun 10, 2011
- 'Parallel Games for disabled if Dow sponsors London Olympics' - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: 2012 london olympics, acting president, agenda today, apex, apex body, bhopal gas tragedy, boycott, dow chemicals, indian athletes, indian olympic association, ioa, New Delhi, olympic ceremonies, olympics, randhir, secretary general, sponsorship, time india, vijay kumar, vijay kumar malhotra