IOA asks for government clearance to host South Asian GamesJune 13th, 2012 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Wednesday requested the government to give approval for hosting the South Asian Games (SAG) in early 2013.
The special General Body Meting (GBM) of the IOA here reiterated its resolve to conduct the Games, which have been allotted to India on rotational basis.
The general body felt that it will be shameful for the country if it failed to honour the commitment to host the SAG because India is a founding member of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
It said that in case, due to some technical reasons, the games cannot be held in Delhi, the venue can be shifted to any other state which has infrastructure available.
IOA acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said the reason given by the sports ministry seeking the deferment of SAG are flimsy and not convincing.
“We have already written to the prime minister on this issue and now we will meet him to known the government’s stand to end the prevailing uncertainty,” he said.
Malhotra said several states have offered to hosts the Games.
- IOA seeks PM's intervention on South Asian Games - May 14, 2012
- IOA postpones South Asian Games, newly-formed committees scrapped - Dec 16, 2011
- Bhanot attends first IOA meeting after release from jail - Jun 13, 2012
- IOA condoles death of fencing secretary general - Jul 05, 2012
- IOA president criticises FIH for taking away Champions Trophy from India - Sep 13, 2011
- Accused should not continue as office bearer: Sports minister - Jan 20, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- IOA executive board to meet May 24 - Apr 28, 2011
- Asian Games bid hots up, IOA says India should decide - Nov 01, 2010
- IOA rejects Sports Bill, says it impinges on federations' autonomy - May 24, 2011
- IOA didn't discuss boycott of Olympic ceremonies: Malhotra - Mar 02, 2012
- FIH decision unfortunate,uncalled for: IOA - Sep 06, 2011
- IOA writes to Pranab, wants more funds for sports - Mar 04, 2012
- Kalmadi in no mood to resign as IOA president - Jan 20, 2012
- Kalmadi has not been removed: Malhotra - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: acting president, asian games, founding member, games new, gbm, government clearance, honour, hosts, indian olympic association, infrastructure, malhotra, New Delhi, prime minister, resolve, south asian association, south asian association for regional cooperation, sports ministry, uncertainty, venue, vijay kumar