Inzamam blames Yousuf absence for Pakistan’s humiliating defeatJanuary 24th, 2009 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 24 (IANS) Former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq believes Pakistan paid the price for excluding premier batsman Mohammad Yousuf from its line-up by suffering a humiliating 234-run defeat to Sri Lanka in the final game of the ODI series in Lahore Saturday.Inzamam told a TV channel that the absence of experience players like Yousuf has weakened Pakistan.
“It was bad for the Pakistani team,” said Inzamam who resigned as Pakistan captain and later retired after leading Pakistan in what turned out to be a catastrophic campaign in the 2007 World Cup.
“The reasons behind such a defeat are lack of international games and absence of experienced players like Mohammad Yousuf.”
Yousuf was banned by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after he defected to the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) last November. Yousuf later accused Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik of treating him shabbily and said that he was forced to join the ICL because of it.
Inzamam captained the ICL team - Lahore Badshahs - for which Yousuf played in the ICL.
Chasing 310 to win the series Saturday evening, Pakistan were bowled out for a mere 75 to suffer one of their worst defeats in ODIs.
- Inzamam blasts Afridi for his 'disservice' to Pak cricket - Feb 02, 2010
- Lahore Badshah Inzamam challenges Pakistan cricket team - Nov 18, 2008
- PCB recalls Younus to Test and T20 squads, overlooks Malik, Akmal, Yousuf - Dec 01, 2010
- Let Yousuf continue as captain for at least a year: Inzamam - Nov 15, 2009
- Inzamam bats for a longer tenure for Yousuf - Nov 14, 2009
- Akram 'amused' at PCB seeking batting coach to aid 'struggling' Pak team reports - Aug 10, 2010
- Yousuf, team management under fire for series loss against Australia - Jan 07, 2010
- Pakistan names World Cup squad minus Yousuf, mystery prevails over skipper - Jan 19, 2011
- Pakistan recalls Nazir, Naved for Sri Lanka ODI series - Jul 22, 2009
- Inzamam rubbishes allegations of masterminding players' rebellion against Younis - Jun 27, 2010
- Pak court lifts ban on ICL players - Feb 02, 2009
- Inzamam criticizes PCB for its 'unprofessional behaviour' - Apr 11, 2009
- ICL will suffer without Badshahs: Moin Khan - Dec 29, 2008
- Pakistan has enough firepower to win World Cup: Inzamam-ul-Haq - Feb 20, 2011
- Ex Pak greats horrified over PCB's 'vindictive' stance that led to Younis' 'retirement' - Mar 31, 2010
Tags: absence, batsman, cricket league, final game, indian cricket, international games, inzamam ul haq, jan 24, lahore, last november, mohammad yousuf, odi series, pakistan captain, pakistan cricket board, saturday evening, shoaib malik, sri lanka, tv channel, world cup