Involve Jammu representatives to resolve Amarnath land row: AdvaniAugust 6th, 2008 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 6 (ANI): Leader of Opposition, L K Advani has said the Centre should speak to representatives of Jammu to resolve the ongoing agitation over the Amarnath land row.
We do want the situation to normalise, but the Centre should speak to local representatives. We will offer our suggestions when required. But those agitated by the decision to cancel the land transfer must be involved, Advani said.
The state has been polarised along communal lines over the issue, prompting Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh to convene an all-party meeting to arrive at a consensus on how to resolve the issue.
So far, the consultations do not seem to have yielded much. The BJP does not appear keen to play peace-maker. The party is of the view that remedies like temporarily allocating land for the duration of the yatra is no longer relevant.
The BJP also says that the all-party meeting might not come up with any solution. It feels that Jammus sentiments are best represented by the Amarnath Sangarsh Samiti, a conglomerate of 35 political, social and religious organisations fighting for the restoration of land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board. It said the Centre should engage the Samiti directly if it wants the situation to normalise. (ANI)
- BJP condemns Abdullah Government for encouraging Pro- Pakistan elements in the Valley - Jul 03, 2010
- Amarnath samiti calls Jammu bandh Saturday - Jul 02, 2010
- National Conference accuses BJP of arousing communal passions - Jan 21, 2011
- Jammu rebuffs shutdown call - Jul 03, 2010
- Jammu shutdown call has few supporters - Jul 02, 2010
- BJP to launch three-day agitation on Amarnath row from Aug 11 - Aug 07, 2008
- Army deploys 10,000 extra soldiers in Jammu - Aug 07, 2008
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
- Amarnath Samiti leader to contest polls - Mar 14, 2009
- No difference between Congress and BJP, Anna tells Digvijay - Oct 14, 2011
- Advani to take up Goa mining scam in roadshow - Oct 19, 2011
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- Advani questions Mamata silence on graft - Oct 21, 2011
- Hindu groups to go ahead with early Amarnath yatra - Jun 11, 2011
- Amarnath Samiti warns of agitation if pilgrimage delayed - Jun 11, 2009
Tags: agitation, bjp, communal lines, conglomerate, consensus, consultations, dr manmohan singh, duration, l k advani, leader of opposition, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, peace maker, prime minister, religious organisations, sentiments, shri, shrine board, yatra