Inter triumph 5-0, Lazio humiliated 0-4January 8th, 2012 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 8 (IANS) Inter Milan got off to a great start in 2012 as they thrashed Parma 5-0 at home in their Serie A football clash, while Lazio snapped their unbeaten away record of the season with a 0-4 humiliation at the hands of Associazione Calcio Siena.Argentine striker Diego Milito scored a brace with Thiago Motta also on target as Inter registered their fifth straight win in the Italian top flight.
Forward Giampaolo Pazzini and full back Marco Faraoni struck after the break to seal an impressive win which sends the Nerazzurri to within three points of the top three.
Inter head coach Claudio Ranieri praised his side as the best of his term.
“At the start the statistics were unavoidably bad, but now they are smiling at us. You can see these lads aren’t finished and want to put this season back on track,” Ranieri was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“I think this was the best Inter performance of my time here, as we were very concentrated and interpreted the game well,” he added.
Lazio made a bad start to the new year with a thumping at hands of Siena, who picked up a much needed win to take their coach Beppe Sannino out of the firing line.
Lazio had the chance to move into the top three with a win in the first Serie A fixture of the new year, but suffered a heavy defeat in which goalkeeper Albano Bizzarri was sent off.
Lazio head coach Edy Reja was left disappointed and stunned by the shocking defeat.
“This evening we just weren’t there,” Reja said. “It was the worst performance in my entire Lazio career.
“I can only apologise to the Lazio fans and take full responsibility, because this is not the same team that played so well in the first part of the season,” he said.
Mattia Destro scored the opening goal and earned one of two penalties, which were both converted by Emanuele Calaio, as the home side wrapped the match within the first 45 minutes.
Destro then had the final word 10 minutes from time with his second and Siena’s fourth.
The 10 men of Lazio could not find any energy to recover in the second half and will now turn their attention to Serie B high-flyers Hellas Verona in the Coppa Italia Tuesday.
- Inter win, Klose salvages Lazio in Serie A - Dec 11, 2011
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Inter Milan sack manager Ranieri - Mar 27, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Inter getting back into title race: Ranieri - Nov 28, 2011
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Italy beat Malta 2-0 in World Cup qualifier - Sep 12, 2012
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Proud to coach Inter Milan, says Ranieri - Sep 23, 2011
- Win against AC Milan is a huge step forward: Ranieri - Jan 16, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: associazione calcio, bizzarri, calcio siena, claudio ranieri, coach claudio, destro, diego milito, emanuele calaio, final word, firing line, head coach, inter milan, lads, lazio fans, mattia, motta, shocking defeat, target, top flight, xinhua