Inter Milan remain clear at top as Sampdoria draw at LazioOctober 19th, 2009 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Oct 19 (DPA) Sampdoria drew 1-1 at Lazio Sunday to drop two points adrift of leaders Inter Milan in the eighth round of play of the Italian Serie A football.
Champions Inter have 19 points after crushing Genoa 5-0 Saturday and hold a four-point lead on joint-third Juventus and Fiorentina, who drew 1-1 in Turin.
In Rome, Lazio’s Brazilian Matuzalem fired wide on 10 minutes as the hosts pressed hard early in the game, while Samp’s talent Antonio Cassano on 17 minutes forced a good save from Fernando Muslera.
The young Uruguayan goalkeeper also denied Daniele Mannini, but could do nothing to stop Giampaolo Pazzini’s downward header five minutes before the break.
However, it took Lazio only two minutes to equalize through a break from Matuzalem, who had the better of two defenders on the left flank before beating Luca Castellazzi with a diagonal shot.
Genoa were reduced to 10 men on 56 when Marco Padalino picked up a second yellow card, while Lazio’s Roberto Baronio suffered the same fate on 73.
Good chances went begging when Cassano hit the bar, while Mauro Zarate often created problems to the Samp defence.
Pazzini left the pitch with a bleeding nose in the final minutes after Muslera punched the striker in the face as he failed to clear a high cross.
Napoli came from behind to clinch a 2-1 win over Bologna in the first game they played under new coach Walter Mazzarri.
Brazil veteran Adailton curled home a free-kick for Bologna’s lead, but a flick from Fabio Quagliarella on 74 minutes and Christian Maggio’s late deflection gave Napoli a win that placed them next to Lazio on 10 points.
Promoted Parma won 1-0 at home over 10-man Siena to move just one point behind Juve and Fiorentina.
Palermo won 2-1 at promoted bottom side Livorno, newcomers Bari stunned Chievo 2-1, Catania beat Cagliari 2-1, and struggling Atalanta won 3-1 away to Udinese.
Late Sunday, giants AC Milan came from behind to beat Roma 2-1 with goals from Brazilians Pato and Ronaldinho.
The Milanese Devils had Massimo Ambrosini dismissed after reversing the score and leapfrogged Roma to move to joint-seventh with Palermo on 12 points.
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Inter win, Klose salvages Lazio in Serie A - Dec 11, 2011
- Juventus hammer Sampdoria, move into second place in Serie A - Oct 29, 2009
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Moment of truth for Juventus against Sampdoria - Oct 26, 2009
- Sampdoria set to retain lead as giants dither - Oct 01, 2009
- Inter Milan go top through drubbing of Napoli - Sep 24, 2009
- Catania send giants Juventus to second straight defeat - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: ac milan, antonio cassano, bleeding nose, bottom side, deflection, early in the game, fernando muslera, fiorentina, football champions, free kick, giampaolo pazzini, inter milan, italian serie, juve, juventus, lazio rome, left flank, matuzalem, quagliarella, yellow card