Inter Milan get 3-2 win over minnows RegginaNovember 2nd, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Nov 2 (DPA) Champions Inter Milan took the lead in the Italian Serie A Saturday as an injury-time goal from defender Ramiro Cordoba gave them a 3-2 win over minnows Reggina in a pulsating game that opened the seasons’s 10th round.The title holders moved on to 21 points but may be leapfrogged Sunday as leaders Udinese and Napoli look to beef up their 20-point tally.
Inter were ruthless in taking advantage from two Reggina’s ditherings in defence and by the 24th minute seemed poised for an easy win through goals from Brazilian defender Douglas Maicon and French midfielder veteran Patrick Vieira.
A first threat for Reggina’s goalkeeper Andrea Campagnolo came in the sixth minute from a smashing post-shaking shot by the fast Ricardo Quaresma profiting from a poor clearance from Bruno Cirillo.
Three minutes later Maicon opened the scoring with a great volley off a precise feed by Sweden star Zlatan Ibrahimovic while Vieira was on target with a low drive that passed under the legs of Campagnolo.
Reggina reacted boldly despite the two-goal deficit and pulled one back in the 34th minute when midfielder Francesco Cozza connected with a low corner kick outside the area and fired an angled shot leaving Julio Cesar no chance to even try a save.
A further dangerous drive from the Reggina captain met the deflection of Ramiro Cordoba as the Reggio Calabria hosts produced a piercing counter attack just before the break.
The equaliser was postponed to the 53rd minute, bearing the signature of Franco Brienza, who angled a great shot after freeing himself at the limit of the area.
Several chances went begging for Inter as they struggled to avoid a third straight draw, but their young striker Mario Balotelli squandered from close range and had a good shot saved in the 70th minute after Ibra headed wide when Campagnolo made a glaring mistake on a high cross.
Reggina seemed able to contain the guests’ hammering attacks but were upset in injury time by a drive that Cordoba fired across a crowded area after controlling a loose ball off a corner kick.
In Sunday action, Udinese lead Napoli on goal difference when they welcome tough underdogs Genoa Sunday. The Naples side close the weekend late Sunday visiting giants AC Milan, who trail on 19 points.
Troubled powerhouses Juventus and Roma, on 15 and seven points respectively, face off late Saturday in Turin.
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Inter Milan beat Catania to retain Serie A lead - Oct 25, 2009
- Reggina still last in Serie A, but in good form - May 03, 2009
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Mourinho keeps his cool after ban - Feb 25, 2010
- Inter Milan lose to Bologna - Feb 18, 2012
- Juventus keep improving with win over troubled giants Roma - Nov 02, 2008
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Inter Milan go top through drubbing of Napoli - Sep 24, 2009
- AC Milan ends Udinese's unbeaten run at home - Feb 12, 2012