Injury scare for South Africa as Tahir fractures thumbMarch 9th, 2011 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, March 9 (IANS) The South African cricket team received an injury scare Wednesday after scans revealed that leg-spinner Imran Tahir has sustained a fracture of his left thumb.
The 31-year-old was injured while taking a return catch to dismiss Jonathan Trott in their defeat Sunday by England. He made his international debut in the World Cup after having qualified to play for South Africa, January 1.
Pakistan-born Tahir has been in great form for South Africa and is the second highest wicket-taker in the tournament with 11 wickets.
South Africa’s team officials are awaiting advice before making a decision.
“The X-ray revealed a small undisplaced fracture in his left thumb. The images have been sent home to Cricket South Africa’s medical committee and we are waiting for the hand specialist, Dr Mike Solomons, to give us an opinion,” said team manager Mohammed Moosajee.
- South African tweaker Imran Tahir fractures thumb, doubtful for World Cup - Mar 10, 2011
- South African leggie Tahir unlikely to play against India - Mar 10, 2011
- South Africa yet to take a call on leg-spinner Tahir - Mar 11, 2011
- Tahir gets South African citizenship, may play ODIs against India - Jan 01, 2011
- India, South Africa will have plenty to prove (Preview) - Mar 11, 2011
- South Africa bowl out England for 171 - Mar 06, 2011
- Dhoni wins toss, decides to bat - Mar 12, 2011
- Smith excited about Tahir's presence in ODI squad - Jan 11, 2011
- Smith pleased with South Africa's spin attack - Mar 24, 2011
- South Africa suffer injury blues ahead of Ireland tie - Mar 14, 2011
- England's Trott forecasts turnaround in World Cup fortunes - Mar 05, 2011
- England snatch dramatic victory against South Africa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2011
- Smith spins a web around West Indies - Feb 24, 2011
- Kallis is South African Cricketer of the Year - Jun 08, 2011
- Can South Africa break their World cup jinx? - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: cricket south africa, dr mike, hand specialist, international debut, january 1, jonathan, medical committee, mohammed, scare, south african cricket, south african cricket team, tahir, team officials, thumb, trott, undisplaced fracture, wicket taker, wickets, world cup, x ray