Injury problems for Spain ahead of Confederations CupMay 31st, 2009 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 31 (DPA) The Spanish national football team has been hit by various injury problems ahead of the upcoming Confederations Cup in South Africa.
Barcelona’s in-form defender Gerard Pique Saturday tore the abductor muscle in his left leg, in the 1-1 draw away to Deportivo Coruna which finished Barca’s historic season.
Pique, 22, will be out of action for around two weeks, but still hopes to make the trip to South Africa.
Spain, who are participating in the tournament as European champions, will make their debut June 14 against New Zealand. National manager Vicente del Bosque will name his squad Monday.
Andres Iniesta, Pique’s Barcelona team-mate, is also doubtful after tearing a muscle at the back of his right thigh in Wednesday’s Champions League triumph over Manchester United.
Iniesta, 25, is about to be chosen the player of the year in Spain.
Villarreal veteran Marcos Senna Saturday told the media that “it is unlikely that I will be ready” for the Confederations Cup.
The Brazil-born midfield anchorman, aged 32, tore a muscle in his left thigh in April.
Valencia’s David Silva, 23, is another injury doubt. He has missed the last three weeks of the season after spraining his right ankle.
The good news for Del Bosque, however, is that winger Santi Cazorla might be fit in time.
Cazorla, 24, broke his right leg playing for Villarreal against Almeria in April. However, he has recovered more quickly than expected, and will be available for the South African trip.
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to blame Spain for Pique's injury - Oct 16, 2011
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Another injury setback for Barca as Fabregas tears a muscle - Oct 02, 2011
- Iniesta out for two weeks - Sep 13, 2012
- Easy win for Spain against Saudi Arabia - Sep 08, 2012
- Coach Del Bosque recalls Torres and Mata in Spanish squad - May 22, 2012
- Adriano, Affelay and Iniesta to miss Milan game - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: abductor muscle, african trip, anchorman, andres iniesta, cazorla, confederations cup, david silva, european champions, gerard pique, left leg, manchester united, marcos senna, national football team, s david, santi, senna, team mate, vicente del bosque, villarreal, winger