Injuries ‘probably affects the balance’ of Oz team for England ODI series: WhiteJanuary 23rd, 2011 - 11:41 am ICT by ANI
Sydney, Jan 23(ANI): Australian batsman Cameron White has admitted that injuries to senior players “probably affects the balance” of the team for the ongoing seven-match ODI series against England.
Off-spinner Nathan Hauritz has been ruled out of the series after dislocating his right shoulder while fielding a ball in the outfield during the second ODI at Hobart’s Bellerive Oval.
He now joins Michael Hussey, who will undergo surgery this week for a hamstring tear.
Captain Ricky Ponting is already out after breaking his little finger during the Ashes series.
Fast bowler Shaun Tait is also under a fitness cloud after suffering a thigh strain on Friday.
White, however, emphasized that the team is dealing with the situation well at the moment.
“We’ve had a couple of really good wins, we’re playing some reasonably good cricket. I guess with a squad of 15 picked for the World Cup it probably gives an opportunity for some game time to guys who might not have got much game time in this series,” the Age quoted White, as saying.
“So, in one respect it’s a positive. Obviously it’s not ideal,” he added.
When asked why most of the top six batsmen keep getting out to loose shots, White said: “No one means to get out. But the guys who are in there at the moment have played a lot of cricket and know their games and what works for them.”
“Batting is such an individual thing. It’s just up to each and every one of us to work out the best way to get around. England are in good bowling form. They have been all summer, so it’s hard.”
The 27-year-old further believes that today’s third ODI at the Sydney Cricket Ground could be struggling captain Michael Clarke’s day.
“He’s got a really good record at the SCG. Conditions suit him here. I think Michael’s hitting the ball nicely and he’s not far away from a big score,” he added. (ANI)
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Injured Tait doubtful for Brisbane ODI against England - Jan 28, 2011
- Australia takes 3-0 lead in ODI series against England - Jan 23, 2011
- Clarke defends his slow scoring in first ODI against England - Jan 20, 2011
- Hip injury to Steven Smith sours Australia's record chase - Feb 03, 2011
- Loss to New Zealand a wake up call before India series: Clarke - Dec 12, 2011
- India set an improbable target by Sri Lanka (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Hauritz to undergo surgery, can still be fit for World Cup - Jan 23, 2011
- Greg Chappell expects 'strike bowler' Tait to fire on all cylinders during World Cup - Jan 27, 2011
- Clarke gets advice on technique from Oz teenager - Jan 20, 2011
- Australia still a force to reckon with in ODIs (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 07, 2011
- Bellerive Oval doesn't seem to miss Ponting - Feb 24, 2012
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- India will come back strongly in Sydney: Ganguly - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: batsman, bowling, cameron white, captain michael, captain ricky ponting, game time, hobart, little finger, michael clarke, michael hussey, nathan hauritz, odi series, outfield, ricky, shaun tait, spinner, sydney cricket ground, thigh strain, third odi, world cup