Injured Ponting out of fifth Ashes TestDecember 30th, 2010 - 12:16 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 30(ANI): Australian captain Ricky Ponting has been ruled out of the fifth Test of the Ashes series against England because of further damage to his broken finger.
Ponting had fractured the little finger in his left hand while attempting to claim an edge at slip off Jonathan Trott on day three of the third-Test at Perth’s WACA Ground.
Cricket Australia (CA) said that further X-rays on the broken finger showed that the fracture had moved during the fourth Test loss at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
“As such, he needs to commence treatment immediately to achieve a satisfactory outcome,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Australia’s team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris, as saying in the CA statement.
“The treatment options include surgery or aggressive splinting and immobilisation of the injured finger. A decision on the treatment option will be made in the next 24 hours after further consultation with the hand specialist.”
“His return to cricket will be based on how quickly the fracture heals and he will hopefully commence training in the later part of the Australian summer,” the statement added.
The 36-year-old is expected to be fit for the 50-over World Cup in the Indian subcontinent starting February.
Vice-captain Michael Clarke will lead Australia during Ponting’s absence, while New South Wales (NSW) batsman Usman Khawaja is expected to make his Test debut as his replacement.
Australia currently trails the five-match series 2-1, with the final Test to be played in Sydney from January 2. (ANI)
- Ponting 'devastated' over missing fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Injured Ponting to miss Sydney Test, Clarke may take over - Dec 30, 2010
- Ponting 'devastated' at having to sit out in Sydney Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Injured Ponting looks strong for Boxing Day Ashes Test - Dec 23, 2010
- 'Boxing Day Ashes Test would be make-or-break Test of Ponting's colossal career' - Dec 21, 2010
- Ponting to undergo surgery on fractured finger - Jan 03, 2011
- Clarke to lead Australia in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Ponting certain to play in Boxing Day Test: Langer - Dec 21, 2010
- Khawaja will be a standby for Ponting - Dec 21, 2010
- 'It is going to take a fair bit to keep me out of Boxing Day Ashes Test', says Ponting - Dec 24, 2010
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Ponting says fit for Boxing Day Ashes Test but won't field in slips - Dec 25, 2010
- Ponting looks good to play in Melbourne, says Clarke - Dec 24, 2010
- I'm not here to fill Ponting's shoes, says Usman Khawaja - Dec 31, 2010
- Ponting to undergo surgery on his fractured finger - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: australian captain, broken finger, captain michael, captain ricky ponting, cricket australia, fifth ashes test, fifth test, ground cricket, hand specialist, indian subcontinent, khawaja, melbourne cricket ground, new south wales, satisfactory outcome, sydney morning herald, team physiotherapist, test debut, third test, vice captain, waca