Injured Muralitharan likely to miss World Cup semi-final against Black CapsMarch 29th, 2011 - 12:17 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, Mar 29(ANI): Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan may miss today’s first World Cup semi-final against New Zealand due to a double leg injury.
Muralitharan had bruised his knee and suffered a hamstring injury while batting during Sri Lanka’s final Group A game against New Zealand on March 18.
“Murali and everyone around him is trying to get him as fit as possible and fit enough to play. Its two different injuries. He knocked his knee at Mumbai and he’s just aggravated a quadricep muscle - a very slight strain - in the game before so it’s not the same injury. We’ll just have to monitor how he goes and hope he is fit enough to play,” Stuff.co.nz quoted captain Kumar Sangakkara, as saying.
“It’s no use thinking about the final and saving him for other games, this is the crunch game and if he can play that’ll be great for us, but if that doesn’t work out, we’ve got enough cover to make sure that we are still a solid winning side. If Murali is not fit it’s something that we have to accept and get on with,” he added.
Muralitharan, who is the leading wicket-taker in Tests (800 wickets) and in ODI cricket (530 wickets), has announced that he will retire from one-day cricket at the end of the World Cup. (ANI)
- Muralitharan racing against time to be fit for semifinal - Mar 28, 2011
- Muralitharan takes blame for India's dominating win over Sri Lanka - Apr 04, 2011
- Sangakkara asks his boys is keep it simple - Apr 01, 2011
- Vaas, Randiv to cover for Muralitharan, Mathews - Mar 31, 2011
- Muralitharan cheered by fans at his last ODI (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Tendulkar, Muralitharan raise the stakes - Mar 31, 2011
- Injury worries for India, Sri Lanka ahead of final - Apr 01, 2011
- Siddons unhappy with Muralitharan's signing before his appointment - May 14, 2011
- Muralitharan, Mathews battling to be fit for final (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Vaas, Randiv flying in as covers for Murali and Mathews (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Muralitharan to play crucial role in Sri Lanka's CWG bid - Nov 04, 2011
- Muralitharan to play for Wellington next season - May 13, 2011
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
- Australia will play Muralitharan with confidence: Julian - Mar 03, 2011
- South Africa ahead on form, Kiwis count on Vettori (Preview) - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: black caps, crunch, double leg, final group, leg injury, miss today, miss world, mumbai, murali, muttiah muralitharan, new zealand, odi cricket, quadricep muscle, sangakkara, spinner, sri lankan, wicket taker, wickets, winning side, world cup