Injured KP vows to be fit for ICC World Twenty20, AshesMay 21st, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 21 (ANI): England batsman Kevin Pietersen has said that he will be fit for both the ICC World Twenty20 and the Ashes.
KP has opted out of the one-day series against the West Indies with an Achilles heel injury.
The England and Wales Cricket Board announced Pietersen would undergo treatment on “an ongoing injury” in his right heel.
After consulting ECB chief medical officer Nick Peirce, the pair have erred on the side of caution in deciding on a week’s treatment instead of further cricket. Pietersen, who felt the problem flare up in the
“The medical advice is to rest it and although I hate missing out on playing it’s necessary to overcome what has been a minor ongoing injury,” The Sun quoted KP, as saying.
Peirce said Pietersen should make a speedy recovery.
He said: “The injury would not necessarily prevent him from playing, but by giving him a precautionary period of time out to receive treatment and rest we’re enabling the niggle to settle down in preparation for the Twenty20 and the Ashes. This is not an injury that would preclude him from participating in either event.”
Pietersen’s absence looks set to hand an opportunity to Middlesex batsman Eoin Morgan, who played for Ireland in the 2007 World Cup but qualifies for England having lived here for more than four years. (ANI)
- `To leave a winning dressing room is heartbreaking,' says devastated KP - Jul 23, 2009
- KP ignored ECB medical advice, aggravated injury in IPL - Jul 26, 2009
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Pietersen ruled out of rest of Ashes - Jul 22, 2009
- Morgan all set to replace Pietersen in England team - Mar 07, 2011
- Pressure increases on England team after Pietersen's injury - Jul 23, 2009
- Eoin Morgan second Irishman to lead England - Aug 20, 2011
- Kevin Pietersen ruled out of World Cup - Mar 07, 2011
- Injured Pietersen ruled out of Ashes (Lead) - Jul 22, 2009
- Kevin Pietersen retires from ODIs and T20s - May 31, 2012
- KP on collision course with ECB over 20-20 commitments - Jul 24, 2009
- 'Unorthodox' Morgan picked for England Test squad - May 24, 2010
- England preparing to cope with Pietersen's absence - May 01, 2010
- Ravi Bopara replaces injured Trott in third Test - Aug 06, 2011
- Morgan selected in England Test squad - May 23, 2010
Tags: absence, achilles heel injury, caution, england and wales, england and wales cricket board, england batsman, eoin, flare, icc world twenty20, kevin pietersen, kp, medical advice, medical officer, middlesex batsman, niggle, period of time, speedy recovery, wales cricket board, west indies, world cup