Injured Iniesta ruled out for four weeksSeptember 14th, 2011 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 14 (IANS) FC Barcelona have suffered their second major injury setback in just four days with the news that midfielder Andres Iniesta will be out of action for around a month with a muscle injury.
Iniesta had to limp out of his side’s 2-2 draw at home to AC Milan in the Champions League Tuesday night after just 38 minutes, feeling a sharp pain in his left leg.
Tests carried out after the game showed that he has torn his femoral biceps.
With the fixture calendar filled with matches until the middle of October, Iniesta will probably miss a total of seven matches: four in the Primera Liga and three in the Champions League.
He is also doubtful for Spain’s European Championship qualifying matches against the Czech Republic and Scotland, although those are less important given that the reigning World Champions have already assured their place in next summer’s finals.
Iniesta has suffered the same injury as that which affected Barcelona’s Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez at the weekend. Sanchez will be out of action for between six to eight weeks as a result of an eight cm tear in the same muscle.
“These things happen over the course of a season, although they are never nice for anyone. Iniesta has been playing very well for a long time, but he will recover,” coach Pep Guardiola was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The only positive news for Barcelona Tuesday was the re-appearance of Carles Puyol after 67 minutes. Puyol has been suffering from a knee problem for several months and his return to form will be an important boost for the Barcelona defence.
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011
- Adriano injury setback for Barca - Nov 15, 2011
- Another injury setback for Barca as Fabregas tears a muscle - Oct 02, 2011
- Key clash in Spanish League as Barcelona visits Valencia - Sep 20, 2011
- Barcelona take on Espanyol in city derby - Jan 07, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Alexis adds to Barca injury woes - Sep 14, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to blame Spain for Pique's injury - Oct 16, 2011
- Barcelona look to bounce back against Osasuna - Sep 16, 2011
- Injury hit Barca can't afford mistakes in Villarreal - Jan 27, 2012
- Barcelona's Affelay gets injured during training - Sep 23, 2011
- Barcelona take on Real Madrid in crucial 'El Classico' - Apr 20, 2012
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Injured Puyol to miss Champions League game - Mar 07, 2012
- Questions to answer as Barca entertain Valencia - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: ac milan, alexis, andres iniesta, carles puyol, champions league, czech republic, fc barcelona, femoral biceps, knee problem, left leg, midfielder, muscle injury, pep guardiola, positive news, primera liga, setback, tuesday night, winger, world champions, xinhua