Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia’s World Cup squadFebruary 8th, 2011 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Feb 8 (IANS) Australia’s World Cup campaign suffered a blow with injured batsman Michael Hussey and off-spinner Nathan Hauritz ruled out of the mega event beginning in the subcontinent Feb 19.Cricket Australia (CA) sought and was granted permission from the International Cricket Council to replace them in the 15-member strong squad with Tasmania off-spinner Jason Krejza and South Australian batsman Callum Ferguson.
Australia have been battling injuries with several of its key players, including captain Ricky Ponting, on the injury list.
Selectors met Tuesday following fitness tests on Hauritz (shoulder), Hussey (hamstring), Ponting (finger), Steve Smith (hip) and Brad Haddin (knee). Both Hussey and Hauritz were considered too big a risk following surgery.
Andrew Hilditch, chairman of the National Selection Panel, said the number of injuries had placed his panel in a difficult position.
“During the Commonwealth Bank Series (against England) we had a number of injuries to prominent players in our World Cup squad. Specifically, both Mike Hussey (hamstring tendon rupture and repair) and Nathan Hauritz (right shoulder dislocation) suffered significant injuries, both of which necessitated surgery,” he said.
“Based on the medical advice, an application is being made to the ICC to replace both players (Hussey and Hauritz) in the World Cup squad,” Hilditch was quoted as saying in The Australian.
“We have applied to the ICC technical committee for Jason Krejza to replace Nathan Hauritz in the squad. Jason toured India with the Australian Test team in 2008 and understands those conditions. We’re certain he’ll be a key member of our squad.”
Shaun Marsh was brought in as cover for Hussey but he too injured himself allowing Ferguson a chance.
“Callum has an excellent record in One-day International cricket and played well in the one-day game against England in Sydney recently. We think he’ll play well in sub-continental conditions,” Hilditch said.
“Players outside the initial squad of 15, Shaun Marsh (hamstring strain) and Xavier Doherty (back injury) were not considered due to injury.”
Australia, who are looking to win their fourth successive and fifth overall World Cup, play their first practice match against India Feb 13 in Bangalore while their first league match is against Zimbabwe Feb 21.
Physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Ponting and the other injured players were improving.
“Ricky Ponting is going well in his rehabilitation following his finger fracture,” he said. “He is batting regularly and is expected to transition into unrestricted training soon after the team arrives in India.”
“Brad Haddin was struck on the knee whilst batting during the seventh ODI against England. During the batting innings, the knee became swollen. We expect this to resolve soon after we arrive in India.
“Steve Smith is making very good progress from the groin injury he sustained in the sixth ODI against England.”
Hilditch said the selectors have received a full briefing from CA medical staff.
“The NSP has determined that the best strategy to ensure a successful campaign is for Australia to enter the tournament with a fully fit squad of fifteen from the first game.”
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz ruled out of Oz World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- ICC confirms replacement of players in Oz, Indian squads for WC - Feb 08, 2011
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Clarke, Haddin, Ferguson and Bracken will miss India series - Oct 09, 2009
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- Cowan, Cummins, Pattinson likely to earn maiden CA contracts - Jan 09, 2012
- Tait proves fitness, Ferguson added to Oz squad for ODIs against England - Feb 01, 2011
- Mike Hussey frustrated with World Cup omission - Feb 09, 2011
- Oz selectors delay replacement for Bollinger seeing Hussey's optimism to return - Mar 01, 2011
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- World Cup: India opt to bat against Australia in warm-up match - Feb 13, 2011
- Rookie Victorian spinner included in Oz squad for ODI tour of India - Oct 09, 2009
- Australia still a force to reckon with in ODIs (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: australian test team, callum, captain ricky ponting, commonwealth bank, cricket australia, day game, fitness tests, hilditch, international cricket council, medical advice, michael hussey, nathan hauritz, national selection, selection panel, selectors, shoulder dislocation, steve smith, tendon rupture, world cup campaign, world cup squad