Injured Clarke on course to play Johannesburg TestFebruary 19th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Potchefstroom (South Africa), Feb.19 (ANI): Injured Australian cricket vice-captain Michael Clarke is in doubt for the opening tour match against South Africa Board President’’s XI beginning on Friday, but is likely to play in the Johannesburg Test.
Clarke, who is suffering from a back injury, was restricted to walking laps with team physio Alex Kountouris while the main group completed warm-up fielding drills at Senwes Park in Potchefstroom, Fox Sports reports.
The team then retreated to the nets for their opening training session for this week’’s three-day game ahead of the first Test in Johannesburg from February 26.
Australia, who need to avoid defeat in the three-Test series against South Africa to retain the No.1 ranking, are yet to name a team for the tour game in Potchefstroom.
“It’’s a worry. He (Clarke) has missed a couple of games, had a long flight and we had to get straight on a bus to get here. He’’s getting better every day, coach Tim Neilsen said.
“It’’s a bit different to normal. It’’s not his lower back from what I understand - it’’s a different injury to what his normal problem is. We”re just being a bit careful because we don”t want to blow him out on the back of the plane trip and put him back another week and have real pressure on him to get ready for the Test, he added. (ANI)
- Clarke doubtful for practice match in South Africa - Feb 19, 2009
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Clarke suffering from new back injury - Feb 20, 2009
- Watson could miss entire series against India - Dec 27, 2011
- Graeme Smith recovering well from ankle surgery - Apr 26, 2012
- Shaun Marsh considering to go under knife - Dec 15, 2011
- Injured Ryan Harris to return to Australia - Nov 17, 2011
- Clarke backs out-of-form trio - Nov 23, 2011
- Pacer Mitchell Johnson may be ruled out for summer - Nov 30, 2011
- Ponting shows encouraging signs of recovery from broken finger - Feb 13, 2011
- Injured Hilfenhaus doubtful for New Zealand tour - Jan 18, 2010
- Clarke's back shows signs of improvement - Feb 21, 2009
- Brett Lee undergoes surgery in Cape Town, returning home - Oct 11, 2011
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Seven Australian cricketers including Ponting on road to recovery - May 26, 2011
Tags: alex, australian cricket, back injury, board president, captain michael, day coach, day game, first test, fox sports, johannesburg, laps, match, michael clarke, neilsen, plane trip, south africa, test series, tour game, training session, vice captain