Iniesta doubtful for Confederations Cup after aggravating injuryMay 30th, 2009 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 30 (DPA) Andres Iniesta is doubtful for the upcoming Confederations Cup football match after aggravating the muscle injury in his right thigh in Wednesday’s Champions League defeat of Manchester United.
According to Catalan dailies Sport and Mundo Deportivo Saturday, Iniesta might need two or three weeks to recover.
They both quote Barca coach Josep Guardiola as saying, Friday, that “we should be careful with this injury to Andres, it is in a very dangerous place”.
Iniesta - who is well placed to be chosen as the best player in the Spanish Liga this season - originally tore the muscle at the back of his right thigh May 2, in Barca’s historic 6-2 win away to Real Madrid.
He seemed to have recovered in time for the Champions final, and turned in another of his lively displays linking up midfield and attack - and setting up Samuel Eto’o for the first goal.
However, he has been in considerable pain since Wednesday, and has been treated by the Barca doctors.
On Monday Spain manager Vicente del Bosque will name his squad for the Confederations Cup, in which European champions Spain make their debut on June 14 against New Zealand.
- Guardiola refuses to blame Spain for Pique's injury - Oct 16, 2011
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Alexis adds to Barca injury woes - Sep 14, 2012
- Another injury setback for Barca as Fabregas tears a muscle - Oct 02, 2011
- Iniesta out for two weeks - Sep 13, 2012
- Injury problems for Spain ahead of Confederations Cup - May 31, 2009
- Do or die for injury-hit Barcelona against Inter - Nov 23, 2009
- Spanish press hail Euro 2012 triumph - Jul 02, 2012
- Barca fans confident Ibrahimovic will do even better than Eto'o - Jul 28, 2009
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Adriano, Affelay and Iniesta to miss Milan game - Nov 22, 2011
- Injured Iniesta ruled out for four weeks - Sep 14, 2011
- Barca face test away to in-form Atletico - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: andres iniesta, best player, champions league, confederations cup, cup football, dailies, dangerous place, dpa, european champions, football match, guardiola, june 14, manchester united, midfield, mundo deportivo, muscle injury, real madrid, samuel eto o, spanish liga, vicente del bosque