Indo-Pak cricket series revival on the cards?July 6th, 2010 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, July 6 (ANI): The chances of resumption of India-Pakistan bilateral cricket series has received a boost, as the issue was discussed at length during the just concluded International Cricket Council’s (ICC) meeting in Singapore.
According to sources, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt had a meeting ICC’s new president Sharad Pawar during which the resumption of the stalled series between both countries came up for discussion.
“It was agreed between Butt and Pawar that all out efforts will be made to revive the Pakistan-India series as soon as possible,” The News quoted sources privy to the meeting, as saying.
Insiders claim that Pawar had asked the PCB chief to back the Asian bloc led by India over the issue of former Australian Prime Minister John Howard’s nomination for ICC vice-president.
Pakistan, like other Asian members of the ICC, had voted against Howard resulting in rejection of his nomination for the post.
“Now that Pakistan has done it’s side of the deal, the Indians will have to agree to a bilateral series against Pakistan sooner than later,” sources said.
“It is expected that the series will be held on neutral soil after April next year,” they added.
Pawar, reportedly, has also promised to ensure that Pakistan’s Twenty20 champions are allowed to feature in the 2011 Champions League.
Pakistan was not part of the inaugural Champions League last year and has also been denied a place in the tournament this year which is scheduled to be held in South Africa. (ANI)
- PCB to discuss bilateral cricket ties resumption with India in ICC meeting: Sources - Mar 24, 2011
- PCB chairman to meet Pawar Thursday - Sep 15, 2010
- Spot-fixing: PCB boss Butt to meet ICC chief Pawar today - Sep 16, 2010
- Resumption of bilateral series with India top priority for PCB: Butt - Jun 19, 2010
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Pak team "missing" banned pace bowler Aamir: Ijaz Butt - Mar 30, 2011
- Butt wants ties with India resumed, no leniency for trio (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- No possibility of Pakistan's tour to India next year - Dec 16, 2011
- PCB undecided on ex-Oz PM Howard's nomination for ICC's vice-president's post - Jun 12, 2010
- Spotlight on PCB boss Butt at ICC meeting focusing on 'spot-fixing' - Oct 12, 2010
- Butt keeps silent on his meeting with Pawar - Sep 16, 2010
- ICC task force to grill PCB boss Butt in teleconference on Oct 23 - Oct 20, 2010
- Pakistan to have full-fledged Bangladesh tour in December-January - Apr 23, 2011
- ICC defers vote on Howard's vice-presidential claims due to lack of support - Jun 30, 2010
- India-Pakistan break the ice on cricketing ties (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: australian prime minister, australian prime minister john howard, india pakistan, india series, indo pak cricket, indo pak cricket series, international cricket council, john howard, minister john howard, neutral soil, new president, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan india, pcb chief, prime minister john, prime minister john howard, resumption, sharad pawar, twenty20