India’s new aggression will be tested during tour of Australia: PontingNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:41 am ICT by admin
A string of visiting teams and players have realised that maintaining the intensity during a long summer tour can be quite a challenge.
“They (the Indians) made it pretty clear right at the start of the series they were going to fight fire with fire, but for us, we know that’s generally not the way they play their cricket,” The Age quoted Ponting, as saying.
“We’ve got a lot of cricket against them in the next few months, so it will be interesting to see just how long that aggressive-natured cricket does last from them.”
The Indians arrive in late December after a home series against Pakistan and have one three-day match in Australia, against Victoria, to prepare for the Boxing Day Test. By the end of January, they will have played four Tests before the caravan rolls into a triangular one-day series with Sri Lanka.
NSW leg spinner Stuart MacGill, desperate to fill Shane Warne’s large void this summer, echoed Ponting’s theme.
“It’s always a danger if you’re trying to become someone that you’re not because you’ve got to concentrate on a whole lot of things out on the field, not just bowling,” said MacGill.
“It’s always easier when you’ve got a lot of support at home to ride your emotions. They only need to look around and know they’ve got a billion countrymen supporting them. I think you’ll find it doesn’t work for them if they’re pretending,” he added. (ANI)
- Sending George to make debut in India is like 'not giving him a chance': McGill - Oct 12, 2010
- MacGill returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Dec 02, 2011
- North, not Hauritz should be Australia's first-choice spinner: MacGill - Nov 07, 2010
- MacGill wants to play in IPL - Dec 26, 2011
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Stuart Macgill blasts Hilditch's Ashes selection - Dec 11, 2010
- Partnerships with bat and ball pivotal to Oz defeating India: Ponting - Oct 01, 2010
- Oz media blasts MacGill for targeting George, selectors - Oct 13, 2010
- MacGill favours Hauritz, says Beer clearly not the best spinner - Jan 06, 2011
- Lyon becomes international off-spinner from a groundsman - Jul 26, 2011
- Warne asks Oz selectors not to panic and make wholesale changes - Dec 29, 2010
- Oz selectors to decide Ponting's fate early next week - Mar 26, 2011
- Batting camp must address mental preparation: Mark Waugh - Dec 18, 2011
- Waugh predicts Australia will win Ashes, but warns under-performing seniors - Oct 29, 2010
- Clarke backs out-of-form trio - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: aggression, australia, boxing day test, confrontational, countrymen, cricket, fight fire with fire, fire with fire, indians, late december, match, news conference, ponting, realised, shane warne, spinner, stuart macgill, summer tour, visiting teams, whole lot of things