India’s men archers qualify for London OlympicsJune 22nd, 2012 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) The Indian men’s archery team, comprising Jayanta Talukdar, Rahul Banerjee and Tarundeep Rai, qualified for the London Olympics after they finished second in the qualification of the 3rd Stage World Cup Archery Championship at Ogden, Utah, Friday.
The Indian team will face US in the final for the gold medal match slated for Sunday.
In the Olympic qualifiers, which were held simultaneously, the Indian team finished second in the final losing 218-221 to Japan to book their London ticket.
In the semifinal, they were tied at 202 with Australia. In tie breaker, India led by three points (10 vs 7) in a first arrow and clinched the match in next arrow shooting nine against miss arrow.
Indian archers have now earned maximum six quota places (three women and three men) for the London-Olympic Games. The women’s team of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro, which had won the silver in the 2011 World Championship Turin had also booked their ticket to London.
Archery Association of India (AAI) president V.K.Malhotra, who is also the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president, praised the men’s team.
“It was an extraordinary tremendous performance by talented and experience team. I don’t have words to describe how well they shoot in the tournament. Indian team fought boldly without caring much of assembled bow used by Rahul Banerjee owing to lost of bow box during transit at this crucial event of Olympic Qualification,” he added.
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- World archery: Indian women make it to London Olympics, men lose - Jul 06, 2011
- Olympic archery: Indian men bow out after tense finish (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- Olympics: Boxers shine as tennis duo knocked out (Overall Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Devendro shine on a dismal day (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: aai, archery association, archery team, banerjee, experience team, first arrow, indian men, indian olympic association, ioa president, kumari, london olympics, malhotra, ogden utah, olympic games, olympic qualification, olympic qualifiers, stage world, talukdar, three women, tie breaker