India’s marathon man Ashis Roy completes 90th marathonMay 18th, 2009 - 11:05 am ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, May 18 (IANS) India’s grand old marathon man Ashis Roy has completed his 90th marathon, finishing the Delaware Marathon in Wilmington in a time of six hours and 32 minutes on a chilly rain swept morning.
Going up and down a hilly course in two loops, Roy - at 76 the oldest of 600 participants - took nine minutes more to finish the 26-mile run Sunday than he did in the Potomac River Run Marathon in Alexandria two weeks ago.
“It was extremely tiring,” Roy told IANS on phone. Roy had to wear two layers of tee shirts to keep warm. His arthritic right knee also acted up slowing him down considerably especially on the downhill slopes.
But an undeterred Roy plans to participate in yet another marathon - the Bob Potts marathon in York, Pennsylvania - on May 31 to complete three long runs in a month.
Back home, he had completed his last marathon in Noida in February in six hours and 4 minutes and the one in Mumbai a month earlier in six hours and 7 minutes.
With plans to complete his century of runs by 2010, Roy, who took to long distance running at the age of 50 after retiring from the Indian Air Force where he served as a cardiologist for 21 years, has just penned a book on the “Joy of Running”.
Roy figures in the Limca Book of Records and has to date competed in marathons in 20 countries outside India including the International Veterans Marathon in Athens in 1986.
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 110th marathon - May 16, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 109th marathon - May 02, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 108th marathon - Apr 04, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy, 80, runs half marathon in US - May 28, 2012
- India's Ashis Roy, 79, completes 111th marathon - Jun 12, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy completes 102nd marathon - May 03, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy completes 103rd marathon - May 17, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 106th marathon - Sep 13, 2010
- India's marathon man sets new record with 91st marathon - Jun 01, 2009
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 105th marathon - Aug 25, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy completes 104th marathon - Jun 06, 2010
- India's marathon man Ashis Roy completes 89th marathon - May 04, 2009
- India's marathon man completes 93rd long run - Jul 20, 2009
- India's marathon man completes 93rd long run (repeating with corrections in para three and four) - Jul 20, 2009
- India's marathon man hits 92 - Jun 21, 2009
Tags: alexandria, arun kumar, ashis, athens, cardiologist, chilly rain, downhill slopes, hilly course, indian air force, limca book of records, long distance, marathon man, marathons, noida, potomac river, potomac river run, potomac river run marathon, six hours, tee shirts, york pennsylvania