India’s hopes on Gowda, Tintu Luka at Asian All-Star meetJuly 28th, 2010 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) All eyes will be national discuss record holder Vikas Gowda when the Asian All-Star Athletics Meet starts here Thursday at the refurbished Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
The US-based Gowda has been hogging the limelight with his season’s best of 63.22m, will India’s hope for a gold medal.
In women’s shot-put, India’s hopes will be on national record holder Seema Antil, who has been struggling.
In women’s long jump, India’s hopes will be on M.A. Prajusha, Mayookha Johny and Reshmi Bose, who will be facing a tough fight from Uzbekistan’s multi-event specialist Tatyana Konichsheva.
Sri Lanka’s Asian champion Manjula Kumara Wijesekara will be the star to watch out for in the men’s high jump. He will get some tough competition from Kazakhstan’s Vitaliy Tsykunov and Asian Indoor Games winner and Doha Asian Games champion Jean-Claude Rabbath of Lebanon.
Indian middle distance star Tintu Luka, a student of the legendary P.T. Usha is a strong bet in the women’s 800m. India’s Sini Jose will also be among the top draws in the women’s 400m.
Indian distance runners Kavita Raut and Preeja Sreedharan look formidable in the women’s 5000m.
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Athletics federation announces 92-member squad for CWG - Aug 31, 2010
- Asian athletics: Mayookha leaps to gold, silver for Gowda - Jul 07, 2011
- Tintu, Mayookha shine at Asian All-Star Athletics Meet - Jul 29, 2010
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- India pinning hopes on Mayookha and Ram for Asian Grand Prix - May 19, 2011
- CWG athletics: Silver winners Vikas, Prajusha bring cheer for India (Roundup) - Oct 11, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day Six - Oct 09, 2010
- Silver for Ram, Seema gets bronze in Asian Grand Prix - May 23, 2011
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- World Athletics: Mayookha qualifies for long jump finals - Aug 27, 2011
- CWG silver lining: Increased funding for Indian sport (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- Asian Games athletics: Relay team gives gold, Preeja silver (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- CWG athletics: Kavita wins historic bronze for India (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Gowda disappoints, Luka in 800m final (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: 400m, 5000m, 800m, asian champion, doha asian games, high jump, indoor games, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, jump india, long jump, luka, middle distance, p t usha, raut, reshmi, seema antil, sini, tintu, vitaliy