India’s challenge ends in Asian Badminton ChampionshipApril 17th, 2008 - 10:24 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) India’s challenge at the Asian Badminton Championship at Johor Bahru, Malaysia, ended on a disappointing note with all the men, women and the mixed doubles pairs failing to survive the second day of the event Thursday. India’s hopes in singles competition received a setback Wednesday as all shuttlers came a cropper and bowed out in the first round, except P. Kashyap who was shown the door in the second round of the last qualifying event before the Beijing Olympics.
Women’s doubles duo of Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian were thrashed 10-21, 7-21 by top seed Chinese pair of Wei Yang and Jiewen Zhang in the second round. The Indian pair had defeated Fan Frances Liu and Yu Yan Vanessa Neo of Singapore 21-15 24-22 in the opening round.
In the men’s doubles, fourth seed Indonesian pair of Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Luluk Hadiyanto beat India’s top doubles duo of Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas 21-7, 23-21 in the first round, while Akshay Devalkar and V. Diju pair went the farthest, losing in the second round 16-21, 14 -21 to the eighth seed Japanese combination of Keita Masuda and Tadashi Ohtsuka.
Devalkar and Diju had earlier defeated Noubani Ehad Nidal and Mohd Naser Mansour Nayef of Jordan 21-6, 21-4 in the first round.
In the mixed doubles, Diju and Gutta went down to the Indonesian pair of Anggun Nugroho and Endang Nursugianti 19-21, 15-21 in the second round.
- Olympics badminton: Jwala-Diju suffer second straight defeat - Jul 29, 2012
- Chetan Anand to face Hiroyuki in Asian badminton - Apr 15, 2008
- Saina out of Asian Championship, Indian campaign over - Apr 20, 2012
- Olympic Badminton: Jwala, Diju lose opener (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- All England Championships: Saina enters second round - Mar 07, 2012
- Jwala-Diju enter mixed doubles quarters at Singapore - Jun 21, 2012
- Saina Nehwal in quarters of All England - Mar 11, 2011
- Gutta, Ponnappa in quarterfinals of China Open - Nov 24, 2011
- Saina enters second round of Swiss Open - Mar 14, 2012
- Olympic: Kashyap gives India winning start; Jwala-Diju lose (Second lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap shines on a mixed day for Indian badminton (Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap brings cheer after early reverses (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: alvent yulianto, beijing olympics, challenge ends, eighth seed, endang, indian pair, japanese combination, johor bahru malaysia, jwala, kashyap, kurian, luluk, nayef, ohtsuka, rupesh, shruti, shuttlers, singapore 21, wei yang, yu yan