India’s athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead)June 30th, 2011 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) India’s leading quarter-miler female runners Mandeep Kaur and Juana Murmu were suspended for testing positive for anabolic agents in an out-of-competition test conducted by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
M.L. Dogra, director of Athletics Federation of India (AFI), told IANS that the two athletes were tested May 25 by IAAF out of competition. Their B sample, which was opened Monday, also tested positive.
Mandeep Kaur, who won the 400 metres relay gold in the Commonwealth and the Asian Games, tested positive for methandienone and stanozolol, while Juana, who missed a podium finish in the 400 metres in the Asian Games, tested positive for methandienone.
Both substances fall in the category of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) and are included in the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) prohibited list. Stanozolol is one of the oldest anabolic agents since American sprinter Ben Johnson took it in 1988.
“The two athletes were on World Anti Doping Agency’s (WADA) whereabouts list and the tests were done randomly. Their B sample has also tested positive and they have been suspended,” Dogra said.
Dogra said the disciplinary committee of the IAAF will meet next month to decide on the quantum of the bans to be imposed on the two athletes.
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- Dope tainted runners Mandeep and Juana's hearing adjourned - Jul 15, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini, Priyanka also fail dope test (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini joins dope-tainted stars (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Mandeep denies dope taint, confident of bouncing back - Jul 03, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Mandeep, Juana ask for food supplements to be examined (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- Six women quarter-milers get 12-month ban, but London hopes alive - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: afi, anabolic agents, anabolic androgenic steroids, asian games, commonwealth, disciplinary committee, dogra, dope tests, female runners, iaaf, international association of athletics federations, june 29, mandeep kaur, methandienone, New Delhi, podium, sprinter ben johnson, stanozolol, wada, world anti doping agency