India’s Ashis Roy, 78, completes 109th marathonMay 2nd, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 2 (IANS) Holding aloft the Indian flag and with no plans to hang his boots as yet, India’s grand old marathon man Ashis Roy has completed his 109th marathon in Potomac River Run Marathon here on a windswept chilly Sunday.
At 78, the oldest of 199 participants in the 26.2-mile marathon out and back twice along the scenic C&O; Canal Towpath near here, Roy finished with a “not so good” timing of 6 hours 51minutes and 30 seconds even as his right leg ached running on a sand and gravel path.
Roy, who was give a special prize as the sole participant in the 75-79 age group, had completed the same run last year in 6 hours 37 minutes and 42 seconds.
However, Roy clipped almost 25 minutes from his previous run in Yakima River Canyon Marathon along an exceptionally scenic course with spectacular views last month.
Roy, who has run two marathons in the US this year, dashed across the last few metres to the finishing line holding the Indian national flag with his two grand daughters in tow as people along the route cheered him for keeping it up at his age.
“What made me extremely happy was that my granddaughters ran the last few paces with me,” said Roy.
The veteran Indian runner, who completed his 100th marathon in Mumbai Jan 17, has no plans to hang his boots yet. He is set to run in Delaware marathon May 15.
Roy, who has penned a book on “Joy of Running” is listed in the Limca Book of Records, and has, to date, competed in 38 marathons in India and 71 marathons in 20 other countries, including the International Veterans Marathon in Athens in 1986.
Roy, a resident of New Delhi, began running marathons at the age of 52 when he retired as a cardiologist with the Indian Air Force.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 108th marathon - Apr 04, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy completes 102nd marathon - May 03, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 110th marathon - May 16, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy, 79, completes 111th marathon - Jun 12, 2011
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 105th marathon - Aug 25, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy, 80, runs half marathon in US - May 28, 2012
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 106th marathon - Sep 13, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy completes 104th marathon - Jun 06, 2010
- India's Ashis Roy completes 103rd marathon - May 17, 2010
- India's marathon man Ashis Roy completes 90th marathon - May 18, 2009
- India septuagenarian marathon runner is on a fitness mission - Dec 08, 2010
- India's marathon man Ashis Roy completes 89th marathon - May 04, 2009
- India's oldest long distance runner completes 96th marathon - Oct 12, 2009
- India's grand old marathon man completes 97th run - Oct 26, 2009
- India's grand old marathon man completes 98th run - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: arun kumar, ashis, canal towpath, grand daughters, granddaughters, gravel path, indian air force, indian flag, indian national flag, indian runner, limca book of records, marathon man, marathon washington, marathons, mile marathon, o canal, potomac river run, potomac river run marathon, sand and gravel, yakima river canyon