India’s ascendancy at Games stumps CanadaOctober 11th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
By Gurmukh Singh
Toronto, Oct 11 (IANS) Canadian sports officials, who found virtually nothing right with India’s preparations for the Commonwealth Games, now fear that the hosts may knock them out of the top three medal winners.
With their country consistently languishing behind the hosts in the medal tally, Canadian officials admit that they may have underestimated India, the Postmedia News said.
Till Sunday, Canada had 22 gold medals in their tally of 59 as compared to 61 gold medals for Australia (137 in total), 29 for India (73 in total) and 26 for England (104 in total).
“The ascendancy of India, at least to this extent, was not anticipated,” said Andrew Pipe, president of Commonwealth Games Canada, who never lost an opportunity to find fault with India’s preparations for the sports extravaganza.
“They are showing good depth across the board,” Pipe has been quoted as saying.
“These have been very challenging Games in Delhi but our athletes have managed to stay focused. Our staff has done a good job of minimizing the distractions.”
With Canada’s favourite events such as diving and gymnastics just beginning, the Canadian sports boss said, “There is still about a week left so there is a way to go.”
But he added, “All in all, we are happy and very pleased where Canada is and it augers well for London 2012.
“The timing of the Commonwealth Games - at the halfway point between Summer Olympics - is very critical and the Games remain an integral part of elite sport development for Canada. This is a key step to London.”
(Gurmukh Singh can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Canadian media grudgingly admits Delhi Games' success - Oct 15, 2010
- Canada says athlete contracted dengue in Delhi - Oct 30, 2010
- Now Canada complains about Games ceremonies - Oct 03, 2010
- Angry Canada hints at pulling out of Games - Sep 22, 2010
- Gymnastics Canada confirms team for Delhi CWG - Sep 16, 2010
- India real force to reckon with during Delhi CWG: England chef de mission - Oct 02, 2010
- CWG: At Games half-way, Indians set new marks - Oct 09, 2010
- India's best-ever medal tally at the Asian Games - Nov 27, 2010
- Canada orders CWG athletes to delay trip to New Delhi - Sep 23, 2010
- Gill promises help in preparing athletes for London Olympics - Dec 03, 2010
- Opening ceremonies blow away ranting Canadians - Oct 04, 2010
- India begins medal chase after CWG opening ceremony - Oct 04, 2010
- Six states failed to win a gold at National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- Wrestlers, shooters, archers take India's gold count to 20 (Night Lead) - Oct 08, 2010
- 2 Canadian archers pull out of Games - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: ascendancy, canadian officials, canadian sports, challenging games, commonwealth games, distractions, elite sport, gold medals, good job, gurmukh, gymnastics, halfway point, london 2012, medal tally, medal winners, oct 11, sport development, sports officials, stumps, summer olympics