Indians win three golds in Asian Grand Prix archeryMay 25th, 2009 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) The 16-member Indian archery contingent bagged three gold and four silver medals at the second Asian Grand Prix meet at Tehran, according to information received here.
The men’s recurve team of Tarundeep Rai, Muni Ram Tirkey and Kapil took the gold medal beating Iran 217-211 in the final. Punya Prabha, V. Pranitha and Reena Kumari finished best in the women’s recurve team final defeating Iran 198-194 in the final.
Compound archer L. Haridas Singh earned India the third yellow metal in the individual event when he annihilated Hungary’s Robert Bojti in the tie breaker after the two tied 109-109 in the final. Singh shot a 10 as against Bojti’s 9 in the tie-breaker.
The men and women compound teams lost to Iran in the final. The men lost 220-227 and the women went down 207-208. Olympian Tarundeep Rai, perhaps the most experienced in the field, could get only a silver medal losing to Iran’s Milad Vaziri Teymoorlooei at 107-108 in the men’s recurve individual event final.
Compound women archer Sweety Kumari too failed in the final going down to Seyedeh Vida Halimian Avval of Iran 102-108 to settle for silver.
Tirkey and Sushma (both individual recurve) lost to Nadar M. and Zahara Nemati of Iran respectively in the bronze medal play-off. All other medals went to host Iran which emerged the best in the four-day tournament which saw 60 archers from six nations take part.
- Asian Grand Prix: Five Indian archers in medal race - May 24, 2009
- World Cup archery: Indian men settle for silver - May 08, 2011
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- India win gold in Asian Grand Prix archery - Feb 18, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- Indian woman recurve archers shine in Asian Grand Prix - Sep 18, 2009
- Asian Games archery: Indian women get bronze, Korea take gold (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- CWG archery: Indians win in recurve, disappoint in compound (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Seven Indians in semis - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: archer, archers, avval, bronze medal, compound women, gold medal, haridas, indian archery, kapil, medal play, milad, reena kumari, silver medal, silver medals, six nations, sweety, tie breaker, tirkey, vaziri, zahara