Indians on a song in archery World CupJune 5th, 2009 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 5 (IANS) It was a great day for the Indians at the World Cup archery Stage III at Antalya in Turkey Friday.
Two youngest members of the contingent, Kapil and Rimil Biruly, annihilated world champions Im Dong Hyun of South Korea and Natalia Valeeva of Italy in the men’s and women’s individual elimination round and moved into the quarterfinals while the men’s recurve teams made it to the final against South Korea.
The women’s team lost to Russia in the semi-finals and will square off against Japan for the bronze medal.
Adding icing to the cake, Jayanta Talukdar progressed to the last eight in the men’s section, thus keeping alive his chances of making it to the World Cup finals at Copenhagen later this year, according to information received here.
Kapil and Rimil, putting behind the poor qualification scores, produced the best performance of their career by beating 2007 Leipzig World Championship winners, Hyun and Valeeva respectively. Kapil ousted the top seed in the second round 115-111 for a
rarest victory against a Korean. Rimil downed Natalia 108-105.
Talukdar scored his personal best, a world-class, 118 in going past American Brady Ellison who replied with 111.
Other Indians failed to go past the second round in the recurve section. Rahul Banerjee and Mangal Singh Champia in the men’s section, Dola Banerjee, Reena Kumari and L. Bombayla Devi in the women’s category belied expectations to bow out of the race.
The compound archers, as usual, lost in the early rounds. The men’s team fell to Canada 215-223 while the women went out to Greece 213-217.
- Talukdar wins world cup archery bronze on final day - Jun 07, 2009
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian men's recurve team in World Cup archery final - Jun 09, 2010
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
- Asian Games archery: Deepika loses bronze play-off (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
- Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiers - Aug 06, 2010
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Archery World Cup: Indian men win silver, women bronze - Jun 06, 2009
- Mangal Singh goes down in World Archery quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2009
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Seven Indians in semis - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: antalya, archers, archery world, best performance, brady, bronze medal, copenhagen, dola banerjee, ellison, indians, kapil, mangal singh, natalia valeeva, quarterfinals, reena kumari, semi finals, south korea, stage iii, world championship winners, world cup finals