Indians dominate Asian Grand Prix archery qualifying roundMay 22nd, 2009 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 21 (IANS) The 16-member Indian archery contingent claimed top positions in all the four categories - Recurve men and women and Compound men and women - on the opening day of the second Asian Grand Prix archery tournament at Tehran, according to information received here.
The Indian men’s recurve team, comprising M.R. Tirkey, Tarundeep Rai and Kapil totalled 1,967 points to take the first place after competitions were held in two 70 m distances as qualifying round in which each archer had to shoot 36 arrows over 70m twice for a total of 720 points Wednesday.
Tirkey’s 659 points was the best among Indians and was followed by Rai (658) and Kapil (650). The fourth member K. Shivshankar scored 614.
The trio of Reena Kumari (641), V. Pranitha (619) and Punya Prabha (613) helped the Indian women team to reach 1,873 points for the top spot. The fourth member Sushma came up with 600 points.
In men’s compound section, M. Chinglensana Luwang (686), L. Haridas Singh (683) and Amrinder Singh (674) enabled India top with 2,043 points. Fourth member Arun Sharma scored 662.
In the women’s section, Manjudha Soy (658), Vrushali Gorle (638) and Sakro Besra (637), who formed the team, enabled India take the top spot with 1,933 points. Sweety Kumari, who was the fourth member, scored 656.
Archers from six countries, hosts Iran, Iraq, India, Syria, Bangladesh, Nepal and Hungary are competing in the four-day meet. This is the second of the five Grand Prix series planned by the Asian Archery Federation. New Delhi is set to host the fourth of the series in September.
- Four changes in India's archery squad - May 12, 2009
- Asian Grand Prix: Five Indian archers in medal race - May 24, 2009
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Archery: modest show by Indians in qualifying rounds - Nov 04, 2009
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- India's Luwang in Asian Indoor Archery meet semis - Nov 04, 2009
- Chekrovolu, Jayalakshmi make the cut for World Cup - Apr 12, 2009
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Seven Indians in semis - Feb 17, 2012
- Indian women claim bronze in team compound - Nov 07, 2009
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- World Cup archery: Indian men settle for silver - May 08, 2011
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Indians win three golds in Asian Grand Prix archery - May 25, 2009
- Arjun Rao in national team for archery world cups - Apr 12, 2009
Tags: archer, archers, archery federation, archery tournament, arrows, besra, compound section, contingent, grand prix, haridas, indian archery, indian men, indian women, kapil, kumari, New Delhi, opening day, rai, sakro, tirkey