Indian women’s hockey team thrashed 2-5 by AustraliaApril 19th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Pakuranga (Auckland), April 19 (IANS) The Indian women’s hockey team went down fighting 2-5 to Australia in the second leg of the Women’s Four-Nation Hockey Tournament at Lloyd Elsmore Hockey Stadium here Thursday.
The goal scorers for Australia were Jodie Schulz, who converted penalty corners in the 7th and 28th minute, Fiona Boyce (12th), Ashleigh Nelson (51st) and Georgia Nanscawen(60th).
Rani Rampaul (13th minute) and Poonam Rani (penalty corner in the 63rd minute) were on target for India.
Australia took the lead in the seventh minute through a penalty corner direct flick by Schulz and five minutes later Boyce made it 2-0. However India showed great commitment and reduced the margin in the 13th minute when forward Rani scored a brilliant goal from the top of the circle.
In the 28th minute Australia earned another penalty corner and Schulz made no mistake in converting into a goal for the second time.
India made some penetrations at the start of the second half but couldn’t find the target.
Australia who led 3-1 at half time scored twice in the second half with fourth goal by Nelson in the 51st minute and fifth goal by Nanscawen at the hour-mark.
India had their moments in the match and tried hard to reduce the margin in the last ten minutes of the game. India earned a penalty corner in the 63rd minute and Poonam deflected a well-directed ball by Asunta Lakra into the nets.
India will now play hosts New Zealand in their pre-classification fixture Saturday.
- Indian women miss bronze in four-nation meet (Lead, With corrections) - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team lose 0-3 to US - Apr 18, 2012
- India come back from two goals down to hold New Zealand - Apr 21, 2012
- India beat Kiwis in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 08, 2011
- Indian eves win bronze in Auckland hockey tourney - Apr 22, 2012
- India bag bronze in four-nation women's hockey meet - Dec 19, 2011
- Indian women beat Japan 2-0 in hockey World Cup - Sep 06, 2010
- India eves in semis of Junior Asia Cup hockey - Jul 03, 2012
- U-21 women's hockey: Germany win title, India finish third - Nov 12, 2011
- Anjum to lead Indian women's hockey team in Australia - Sep 29, 2011
- Hockey Olympic qualifer: Indian women go down 2-5 to South Africa - Feb 22, 2012
- India lose 1-2 to Germany in women's U-21 hockey - Nov 11, 2011
- Indian women lose to Australia in four-nation hockey meet - Apr 15, 2012
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: ashleigh, auckland, boyce, elsmore, fifth goal, five minutes, flick, goal scorers, hockey stadium, hockey team, hockey tournament, india australia, indian women, pakuranga, penalty corners, penetrations, schulz, second time, target australia, time india