Indian women’s hockey team lose 0-3 to USApril 18th, 2012 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Pakuranga (Auckland), April 18 (IANS) The Indian women’s hockey team went down 0-3 to the US in their first match of the second leg of the Four-Nation Tournament at the Lloyd Elsmore Hockey Stadium here Wednesday.
The US dominated the proceedings as India played insipidly with numerous unforced errors. The goal scorers for the Americans were Shannon Taylor (penalty corner 14th minute), Paige Selenski (30th minute) and Michelle Cesan (47th minute).
India took the field without central midfielder Asunta Lakra suffering from a sprained neck which helped their rivals to maneuver their attacks into the Indian striking circle without much difficulty. There was pressure on Indian deep defenders Joydeep Kaur and Kirandeep Kaur who were unable to rise to the occasion.
India should have taken an early lead but Anuradha Thokchom who was setup after a good move by Poonam Rani and Ritu Rani failed to beat US goalkeeper Amy Swensen.
Shortly after Rani also missed an easy scoring opportunity as she could not beat the goalkeeper on the one to one situation.
US took the lead in the 14th minute from a penalty corner rebound scored by Shannon Taylor. India tried to find the equalizer and earned two penalty corners. While the first one was easily intercepted, the second one, a direct set piece by Deepika was stopped on the goal line by Michelle Dawson.
US increased their tally in the 30th minute when Paige Selenski beat Indian goalkeeper Yogita Bali after dodging past the fullbacks.
As India continued to commit unforced errors, the US sealed India’s fate when they scored their third goal in the 47th minute through Michelle Cesan. India next face Australia, Thursday.
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women miss bronze in four-nation meet (Lead, With corrections) - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian eves win bronze in Auckland hockey tourney - Apr 22, 2012
- India come back from two goals down to hold New Zealand - Apr 21, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- India bag bronze in four-nation women's hockey meet - Dec 19, 2011
- Haryana to play Railways in women's national hockey final - Jan 29, 2011
- India draw with Australia in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 09, 2011
- Railways trounce Haryana to win national women's hockey title - Jan 30, 2011
- India women go down to New Zealand in four-nation meet - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian women held 1-1 by lowly ranked Ukraine in hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team edge past Canada - Jun 16, 2010
- India lose 1-2 to Germany in women's U-21 hockey - Nov 11, 2011
- Indian women's hockey team held 1-1 by US - Apr 13, 2012
- India beat Azerbaijan 3-0 in third hockey Test - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: central midfielder, elsmore, face australia, fullbacks, goal line, goal scorers, hockey stadium, hockey team, indian women, kaur, michelle dawson, nation tournament, penalty corners, poonam, ritu, shannon taylor, striking circle, swensen, unforced errors, yogita bali