Indian women’s cricket team also deserves an IPL: Anjum ChopraApril 18th, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) The Indian women’s cricket team also needs an Indian Premier League (IPL) like their male counterparts, says Anjum Chopra, former captain and a member of the Indian cricket team, as she readies to make her reality show debut on “Fear Factor Khatron Ke Khiladi” season four.
“There should be an IPL for the women’s team also because we have the potential and BCCI (The Board Of Control For Cricket In India) should think about it. They have taken lots of effort in promoting women’s cricket across the globe, so this step can add value to women’s cricket,” Chopra told IANS.
“Women’s cricket has witnessed improvement with the World Cup, especially T20 tournaments, taking place at the same ground. So I feel that women’s cricket is improving by leaps and bounds,” she added.
Chopra, who will be seen as one of the 13 contestants in “Fear Factor - Khatron Ke Khiladi” on Colors channel, says she promoted the women’s cricket team in her own way.
“I launched a coffee table book last month, which presented the journey of the women’s cricket team. It’s historical and anecdotal and the first product to be done from all over India. I also did a curtainraiser on women’s cricket, which comes on television,” she said.
“We also have a documentary film titled ‘Poor Cousins of Million Dollar Babies’ and it went to the Arnold Sports Film Festival in Canada. It was the sole Indian entry.
“The movies, which were screened in the film festival, were handpicked by actor Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is a 30-minute film and received great acclaim from people. The idea was to show that despite disparities, Indian women players are happy to be part of the game,” she added.
What was her reaction when Indian won the World Cup 2011?
“I was doing a show ‘Fourth Empire’ and I was excited and jumping. I enjoyed it completely. I believe World Cup victory is the most positive energy going around in the country. Sports bind the people and nation together and one victory made the entire country join hands and celebrate. It was a fantastic moment and kudos to the team,” she said.
Talking about her stint on “Khatron Ke Khiladi 4″, she said: “I would like to feel and believe that being a sportsperson I would have an edge over fellow contestants. Also, it will be an extension of being a sportsperson, so I am looking forward to it.
“Yes winning the show is definitely on the priority list because it will be an achievement for a member of the women’s cricket team,” she said.
Bollywood star Akshay Kumar will host “Khatron Ke Khiladi 4″ and it will see Diandra Soares, VJ Mia Uyeda, Mauli Dave, Kashmera Shah, Sambhavna Seth, Dina Singh, VJ Bani, Aliesia Raut, Aashka Goradia, Smita Bansal, Poonam Pandey and Aarti Chhabria showing their dare devilery.
Her views on fellow contestants?
“It never bothers me and, frankly speaking, I didn’t even meet all of them either; so I don’t know who all are coming and what all they are doing. I am going on the show to identify my fear and I am sure the crew members will help me in overcoming that,” said Chopra, who was in the capital for the promotion of the show.
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Akshay Kumar to sing for 'Khatron Ke Khiladi 4' - May 09, 2011
- Aarti Chhabria is 'Khatron Ke Khiladi' - Jul 24, 2011
- Poonam Pandey, Sambhavana Seth in 'Khatron Ke Khiladi 4' - Apr 11, 2011
- Akshay performs live stunt to promote 'Khatron Ke Khiladi' - Jun 03, 2011
- Raghu sprains neck on 'Roadies' sets (TV Snippets) (With Images) - May 13, 2011
- "I WANT MY FANS TO SHARE THEIR SPECIAL MOMENTS WITH ME ON MY PERSONAL WEBSITE" - PRIYANKA CHOPRA - Aug 17, 2010
- Akshay sunbathes with scorpion in South Africa (With Images) - May 03, 2011
- Anjum Chopra turns cricket coach on 'Khatron Ke Khiladi' (TV Snippets) - May 04, 2011
- I'm extremely happy with 'Khatron Ke Khiladi' success: Priyanka Chopra - Sep 19, 2010
- Idea worked, says Poonam Pandey, model who didn't strip - Apr 17, 2011
- Priyanka Chopra Shot With A Bull And An Alligator - Jul 30, 2010
- Khiladi tag never went away from me: Akshay Kumar - Sep 21, 2012
- Aarti Chhabria wins 'Fear Factor 4', gives credit to Akshay - Jul 24, 2011
- Akshay Is The Original Khiladi - Priyanka Chopra - Aug 09, 2010
- Milind Soman first to lose 'Khatron Ke Khiladi 3' - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, arnold sports, chopra, coffee table book, country sports, disparities, documentary film, fear factor, indian cricket team, indian women, ipl, khiladi, leaps and bounds, male counterparts, million dollar babies, minute film, poor cousins, positive energy, women players, world cup victory