Indian women beat Japan 2-0 in hockey World CupSeptember 6th, 2010 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Rosario (Argentina), Sep 6 (IANS) India defeated Japan 2-0 to register their first victory at the Women’s Hockey World Cup at the Jockey Club here Sunday.
India led 1-0 at half time with Rani Rampal scoring in the 14th minute. Jasjeet Kaur Handa accounted for India’s second goal from a penalty corner in the 43rd minute.
India earlier lost to the Netherlands, Australia and Germany. With three points India are at fourth place in the pool ‘A’ standings, placed above New Zealand and Japan who have one point each.
Reigning World and Olympic champions the Netherlands became the third team to reach the semi-finals, with a 2-1 victory over European rivals Germany
Australia kept alive their chances of reaching the semi finals after beating New Zealand 4-1.
It was a vastly improved performance by India who had slumped to two big defeats in the earlier matches.
Rani continued her fine run as she gave finishing touches to an attack forged by Poonam Rani and Saba Anjum, scoring her fifth goal of the tournament.
Japan enjoyed large spells of possession in the first half, but were often frustrated by the superb work of the Indian midfielders — Asunta Lakra, Deepika Thakur, Ritu Rani and Kirandeep Kaur.
Japan were awarded a penalty corner at the stroke of half time. However, Indian goalkeeper Dipika Murty made a fine save.
Japan came out all guns blazing in the second half, but India soon found their rhythm and began to force their opponents onto the back foot.
Jasjeet Kaur converted a penalty corner to hand India a 2-0 lead.
India will now play their last Pool match against New Zealand Tuesday.
- Indian hockey girls leave controversy behind, want gold at home - Sep 19, 2010
- Surinder Kaur to lead Indian women in Asian Champions Trophy - Jul 14, 2010
- Railways trounce Haryana to win national women's hockey title - Jan 30, 2011
- Women's hockey team for Commonwealth Games announced - Aug 30, 2010
- Karbonn Cup: Indian women beat Azerbaijan in opening match - Jan 15, 2012
- Anjum to lead Indian women's hockey team in Australia - Sep 29, 2011
- Saba Anjum to lead India in Champions Challenge hockey - Jun 02, 2011
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: India beat Italy - Feb 24, 2012
- Haryana to play Railways in women's national hockey final - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian women held 1-1 by lowly ranked Ukraine in hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Dutch drub India 7-1 in women's World Cup hockey - Aug 31, 2010
- Lakra to lead women's hockey team in Olympic qualifiers - Jan 31, 2012
- Rajpal, Surinder Kaur to lead hockey teams in Guangzhou - Nov 03, 2010
- CWG women's hockey: India thrash Trinidad and Tobago 7-0 - Oct 08, 2010
- Indian women's hockey team lose to Argentina - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,